India state beats drums to stop public urination ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And you think we have problems here?

I'd also be interested to hear the strong OSA libertarian point of view on this issue... :coffee2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20202339

news.bbcimg.co.uk_media_images_63934000_jpg__63934176_46481273.jpg

Volunteers armed with drums and whistles are being used under a new scheme to shame people going to the toilet in public in the western Indian state of Rajasthan, officials say.

The scheme was launched on Monday in 34 villages in Jhunjhunu district.

Four to five people will "shout, beat drums or blow a whistle" if they see anyone urinating or defecating in the open, an official told the BBC.

Repeat offenders may even be asked to pay a fine, he said.

Nearly half of India's 1.2 billion people have no toilet at home and they defecate in the open.

Correspondents say spitting, urinating and defecating in public are a common sight across India, and in rural areas many people continue to go out in the open even when they have toilets at home because they prefer the outdoors.

But the authorities in Jhunjhunu now want to change that behaviour.

"Nearly 80% [of] villagers in the district have toilets at home and we're trying to motivate the remaining 20% to build toilets at home," the head of Jhunjhunu district council, Ramniwas Jat, told the BBC.

"We are also giving financial assistance of 9,100 rupees [$166; £104] to people who wish to construct a toilet. We want people to not defecate in the open," he said.

Officials say cultural and traditional factors, a lack of education and too few toilets are the prime reasons why millions of Indians defecate in the open.

Those with no access to toilets have to go to farms and fields and women have to go before dawn or after dark in order to preserve their modesty.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG!!! Don't let my wife see this article. She throws an absolute hissy fit when I "urinate" off the back porch. She keeps threatening the next time she catches me "doing my business" in the backyard, she's going to put a .177 pellet in my azz.

I keep tellin' her we're back in Oklahoma, not one of those fancy, dancy Houstonians anymore...so there!!!

Cohiba

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Public urination in public urinals out in the open for public view like in some places I've been in Europe and Africa is OK - it funnels the urine into the sewers and I for one don't give a hoot one way or another if anyone wants to stop and take a gander. But just hangin' it out and washin' a wall? Nope. Unsanitary and disease inducing practice.

Libertarians don't believe in doin' stuff that harms others without good reason - at least that's the way my libertarian behind interprets it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom