Interesting Keyhole Target From AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this graphic a few years back. You might try 55 gr or smaller in a 1:12 twist barrel.

1674517060242.jpeg

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually you can shoot round nose 60 grain bullets and they will stabilize in a 1:12 I have done it many times and they will be acceptably accurate , just not with optimal accuracy. Its not bullet weight causing the key hole issue its bullet length and the bearing surface of the projectile

Keep in mind that M855 is not a pure lead bullet, its bi metal lead shank and a steel nose hence its length.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot 64gr sp in a NEF 1 in 12 and got acceptable accuracy for hunting, roughly 1-1/2-2" at 100 yds. I'm thinking that is a shot out barrel or copper fouled badly

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My BIL has an Anderson build he got from FBT over in Bixby. The barrel is marked 1-7 but the target looks exactly like yours. I thought for a minute you might have snagged a pic of his target but I'm fairly certain we didn't take any. 😃

Anyway green tip is a nogo. I had on hand a baggie full of low powered (2900fps) M193 type reloads with 55gr Hornady FMJBT and they did the same thing. In my rifles with 1-9 twist they shoot one hole groups at 25. Same story as yours, the barrel looks pretty good actually. I can't visually see anything wrong with it, but it won't shoot for ****. He never shoots it anyway so I doubt he ever does anything with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom