Interesting read on stopping power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting. Especially the part about head shots. I remember reading about a soldier who was shot through the head during WWII (I think) and he lived. The bullet severed the part of the brain that connects the left and right hemispheres. The guy recovered and was able to write papers on two separate subjects simultaneously - one with his left and one with his right hand. I'm not sure if he was ambidextrous before. He could also carry on two conversations simultaneously on different subjects. Anyway, thanks for the article.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting. Especially the part about head shots. I remember reading about a soldier who was shot through the head during WWII (I think) and he lived. The bullet severed the part of the brain that connects the left and right hemispheres. The guy recovered and was able to write papers on two separate subjects simultaneously - one with his left and one with his right hand. I'm not sure if he was ambidextrous before. He could also carry on two conversations simultaneously on different subjects. Anyway, thanks for the article.

one of our previous presidents could write with both the left hand and right hand at the same time, in different languages. IDK why I felt the need to share that, dosent really further the post, but interesting none the less

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a good article. What it brought out was what most Big game hunters already know. His discussion of a person staying in the fight after being shot multiple times center mass is just like shooting a deer through both lungs or the heart with a big bore centerfire rifle. The heart/lungs are total mush, but the animal typically runs in panic mode for as long as it takes for its brain to run out of oxygen, sometimes a hundred yards depending on how soon the blood pressure drops off.

Big game hunters always field dress their animals so that gives one a pretty good indication of how much damage a bullet can really do to internal organs. Personally, I've killed them with pistol rounds as well as center fire rifle rounds. The pistol rounds certainly put a hole through the heart/lungs one can stick a finger through, and they die. They don't die as quick as a well placed rifle round because the resulting damage of the rifle is 5X that of a pistol in most cases depending on the bullet used.

There have been cases where animals have been shot in the heart, and dropped in their tracks. I'm not aware of anybody that has proved this, but speculation is that the heart valve is open to the brain, and it shocks the brain. That's just theory though.

The central nervous system is the only way there is an instant game stopper, be it brain, or spinal cord.

Latest posts

Top Bottom