Internal lock and non lock on wheel guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10 posts so far and no one had defended the lock.:thumb:

Only one pistol I've owned had the lock and that was a ruger new vaquero, if I remember correctly. Never had any problems with it and for the casual plinker, I didn't mind it. If that was my only pistol and the only time the pistol got used, I could see an inexperienced owner using the internal lock instead of finding/using a secondary removable lock, someone like my dad who buys a gun and it sets for 10-25 years with less than a box shot through it. I could see him locking it, putting it in a drawer until the next time he needed it. For self/home defense, I would like a with or without option so that I could choose without.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This shows what it is and how to get rid of it. I have 2 guns with the lock. One of them I disabled and one I didn't as it's just a target gun only. I left all of the parts in mine though. I just ground off the "stud" that engaged the hammer. The hole is still filled and the lock doesn't work. But this way is better if you ever want to put it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In reality it is a lower cost alternative to satisfy the federal law that states that all guns that are sold must be sold with a locking device.

before the lock was incorperated, a lock was included with each new gun but that got expensive so a cheaper alternative was to just make it part of the gun.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In reality it is a lower cost alternative to satisfy the federal law that states that all guns that are sold must be sold with a locking device.

before the lock was incorperated, a lock was included with each new gun but that got expensive so a cheaper alternative was to just make it part of the gun.

I guess that makes sense from an accounting point of view. I just wish they would offer the option of paying $10-25 extra to buy a gun without a lock built in and they would throw in a trigger lock or something.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with soulman on this, at least you can store the pile of "bike locks" in a box in the attic or something.

I've got two with the lock, one I have removed, one not. I need to get some JB weld so I can fill the hole.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my new s&w .357 686 SSR at H&H a few weeks ago, they told me it had an internal lock..When I opened the case a nice red lock was also included...so much for cost savings..I don't think I will ever use the lock but really don't want to rip into the gun to remove it either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom