International travel and firearms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got to thinking the other day about how I hate being in a foreign country without a firearm. Do you guy think it's with it to carry where allowed in other countries?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got to thinking the other day about how I hate being in a foreign country without a firearm. Do you guy think it's with it to carry where allowed in other countries?
i'm guessing you'd want to do research (like all the research) regarding the laws wherever you go.

And also for all the places you fly through. Depending on where you go through customs, what would be needed to transfer the firearm? Do you have to collect your baggage after the international return leg and go through security again, if so, how would it work with a gun.

Where would you be/what happens if you miss a connecting flight and are stuck in a different country mid travel?

Lots of variables that could make it a very big headache. Not to mention what happens if you get to a place and they just say no (either to entry or to entry with the firearm). You can be in the right on what their laws say, but that wouldn't preclude them from seizing your gun.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reportedly I have heard that it is next to impossible to fly with a firearm to a foreign country. This is from people who wanted to bird hunt in England. There is a lot of paperwork, and at the end you still may need to leave the firearm at the airport. The airline was the stumbling block in this case. Even if you were to find a foreign nation you could posses a firearm! If you find one please let us know. As far as I know there are no countries that have reciprocity with any American State.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Travelling with a handgun for self defense? Not going to happen, unless you have diplomatic connections.

Long guns for hunting and competition is not as hard as it is made out to be, just get a customs declaration when you leave the US so you can return with it.

Traditional sporting rifles and shotguns are seen as benign in the parts of Europe where I've been, except the UK. England is the most resistant to guns, but Spain and France are easier to deal with, and the Czechs are leading Eastern Europe into a gun friendly status.

I've shot IPSC in Spain and Andorra, but had to borrow a handgun.

That said, I would not carry in a foreign country even if allowed technically. Bad idea. I don't want the problems of dealing with foreign police in a place that doesn't have the constitutional and cultural protections we have here, can't speak the language fluently and don't have the legal ability or knowledge for the jurisdiction. Also, there is the idea of the Ugly American strapping on their shooting iron and going western... which will be frowned upon if there is an incident and public pressure will definitely be out for your head on a platter and I wouldn't count on the US State Department to help you at all...

If you are a tourist doing tourist things, you are relatively safe from anything other than petty street crime, and I much rather just give my wallet and phone over to the thugs than pay the costs of having an incident. Terror attacks like the French theater massacre are so rare that they aren't really a factor that would justify the hassle. If you are there for business in a sketchy area like the middle east or Africa, then the company you work for needs to hire security.

Mostly, after going overseas more than your average American, I can say the best defense is the same thing as it is here - situational awareness. If you sense something is wrong, get away from the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom