Is 0.166 MOA reasonable with an AR-pattern rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you heard... errr... read correctly.

Friend of mine sent me pics of his "precision" AR he recently built. I asked him what all parts he used, but he wasn't too specific - Spike's lower, DD upper, Troy Alpha handguard, DPMS 20" fluted barrel.

I'm not dogging his setup, don't get me wrong. He's a good friend, and I am happy he finally decided to build his own rifle, and it looks to be a nice rig. I'm just wondering... he said he built it for a class he is going to take and they have to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 and 300 yards - with iron sights. If I understand things right (which isn't a given, to be sure), 1/2 at 300 yards is about 1/6 MOA, or 0.166 MOA, right? I can see with a good rifle and good ammo shooting half-inch groups at 100 yards with the right setup. But 300 yards seems a bit out there to me... maybe their goal is 1" groups at 300, I dunno.

I know he reloads, so maybe they will work up some rifle-specific loads and match-grade blah blah, I dunno.

I was just wondering how realistic this goal may be for a "class" or if some instructor is feeding them a line of BS that this is going to be possible (ala Rijas)? It seems a bit far-fetched to me, but I'm certainly not an experienced long-distance shooter.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 MOA is ~1" at 100 meters. Guessing they actually want 1/2 MOA accuracy or ~.5"at 100 meters and ~1.5" at 300 meters.

becomingriflemen.files.wordpress.com_2010_02_figure26.jpg

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 1" group at 300 yards with a nice bolt gun and scope is mighty fine shooting. A 1" group at 300 yards with iron sights from an AR is.....phenomenal. Unless of course were talking 1 round groups, LOL.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think it was 1.5" at 300 which is still great with iron sights.
I just spooled up my Penn 209 with 300 yards of line and loops tied into it at each 100 yard mark.
300 is way out there. things get hard to see with these old eyes.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I hearing you correct in that this is a standard AR setup? Not a Bench rest rifle with specialized peep on peep sights, or being held in a vice?

Ill just go ahead and stick my neck out and say no effin way. 1.5 inches with iron sights at 300 yards isnt going to happen.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is kinda confirming what I thought. I also suspected it was supposed to be 1/2MOA all the way out to 300m. Perhaps he misheard. 1/2 groups (3, 5 or 10) at 300 yards to me seems like phenomenal shooting with any gun, any round. But again... I'm not an Operator, so...

Latest posts

Top Bottom