Is a Rock Island Tactical Worth the Money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok would you guys prefer a parkerized 1911 or a blued 1911?

To be honest I saw my first 1911's in person at a gun show 7 months ago but at that time I didnt like them so i looked over them. haha (yes I came to my senses now and I want one) I have NO CLUE which looks better park'd or blued on a 1911.

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i already checked, that is the standard model for $411 and the tactical is $420 free shipping here: click me and I have a $10 FFL lined up

so yes really i passed on it (im implying that thats what you meant by the way)

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok would you guys prefer a parkerized 1911 or a blued 1911?

To be honest I saw my first 1911's in person at a gun show 7 months ago but at that time I didnt like them so i looked over them. haha (yes I came my senses now and I want one) I have NO CLUE which looks better park'd or blued on a 1911.

If it were me it'd would be an easy choice, BLUED. IMO parkerized is the bottom line in finishes. My first trip to the range a wedding ring made several visible nicks to the park. The parkerized looks really dull, unless its soaked with oil. Blued is easy maintenance, and looks good.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I looked at it but I just cant buy a used gun at full retail.

That used gun has about 100 rounds down the pipe and also comes with 3 mags, 1 factory and 2 Colt and a box of factory ammo.

Gun $460 w/free shipping
FFL $10
Mags $17 x 2
50 rds ammo $15

Total $519 for $450

ETA: With that being said, if I were a college student's budget, I would seriously be considering the RIA Tactical in 9mm. The firearm is less expensive than the ammo you put through it.

Last edited:

gismored

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself I would rather pay a few extra bucks local than internet But you need feel the grips on each to see what which one you like then plan upgrades from there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, you will not find a decent blued gun in that price range. I believe all RIAs are park'ed..... which is better than a cheap blue. Even my Les Baer's bluing is really thin.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you S4F, yes im on a student budget but i have been yearning for a 1911 and I figured I might as well get it in the caliber its know for. Im not going to shoot it often I just have the itch to add something new to the collection.

I do shoot 9mm almost exclusively at the range though.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me it'd would be an easy choice, BLUED. IMO parkerized is the bottom line in finishes. My first trip to the range a wedding ring made several visible nicks to the park. The parkerized looks really dull, unless its soaked with oil. Blued is easy maintenance, and looks good.

I feel exactly the opposite. Well done polished blue finished are pretty but harder to maintain than a parkerized finish. My guess is that the softer metal of your wedding ring didn't nick your parkerized finish but embedded the softer metal onto the parkerized surface. Parkerizing is a chemical conversion process that's done on a media blasted steel. The media determines how matte the final parkerized finish will look. Also, parkerized finishes are meant to be oiled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom