Is barrell length related to muzzle flip???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ok so here is the deal. I have an M&P 9 full size and i just got my dream gun... the H&K P30. I love the M&P but I really love the H&K and while they are very similiar in size the M&P is maybe 1/2" longer.
the H&K to me has more recoil and muzzle flip ( muzzle comes up after each shot, i think that is muzzle flip) which would make follow up shots more difficult.
Would the P30L resolve this or would it shoot the same way

I had heard the P30 was a very low recoil shooter but it is def. more noticeable than the M&P and while I like the P30 hammer and decocker as well as the looks better, all that is secondary to the way it shoots.

btw i am not bein a wuss here and saying that i cant handle the recoil.... I would like to get into practical shooting matches or some other form of competitive shooting and for that purpose it would seem that follow-up shots and target aquisition would matter. Thanks for any info?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about that particular pistol, but I would think generally, a longer barrel would put more weight towards the front, reducing flip. Of course, there are a LOT of variables (bore axis, grip angle, overall weight, etc).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrel length can affect muzzle rise, but other things do as well.

The HK USP type guns will always have more muzzle rise. It's a function of bore centerline to grip measurements. Put the M&P in one hand and the P30 in the other, then extend them side by side with your thumbs lined up at the same height. You'll notice that the P30 slide & barrel sit much higher over your hand than the M&P. That gives the recoil more leverage over your hand/wrist and induces more muzzle rise.

All things being equal, the gun with a lower bore height will have less muzzle rise. Other things that also affect muzzle rise are weight, balance, lockup (dwell time), springing of the gun (recoil spring weight), grip angle and most importantly, your grip on the gun.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get a M&P 9mm Pro or Long model with the 5" barrel and you will realize your dream gun.

HKs look good in safes and in euro-style action movies. thats about it...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
P7's have a very low bore centerline and are gas operated. Therefore, they have very little muzzle rise and are gtg. It's the only HK pistol I'd own personally (and do :).

Latest posts

Top Bottom