Is Buying Gold and Silver a Good Investment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought from those websites who sell Gold Coins, bars, Silver coins and Silver Bars? What is the difference between bars and US/Canadian Coins? Is one a better investment than the other? Has anyone ever sold these coins and bars? what was your experience there?

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought from provident metals a few times and own a little bit of silver. I like their prices with the cash discount. Buy Gold & Silver Bullion – Free Shipping | Provident Metals

It's all just silver, but some folks put a premium on some coin types and bar types. For instance, a 1oz silver american eagle is going for $19.63 right now and a 1 oz generic prospector silver round is going for $18.29. Both are worth exactly the same in silver, but some folks prefer the eagles over a generic coin or round. I'm crazy with mine, I just look for straight silver, I don't care what it is. I'm buying more for world collapse reasons than investment.

Geez, our smiley's are a mess, I was trying to find the tin foil hat one.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some silver eagles for a hedge against inflation. I bought them 2 months ago at $16.95; they are now selling at $19.95. An 17.5% ROI is pretty good for a 2 month period. I'll sell some when it hits 25%. I'll save some in case I need to melt them into bullets for killing vampires.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want currency for SHTF? Buy ammo, medicines, cigarettes, blankets, food.... All of these and more will be more valuable than gold or silver.

Yes, but silver has the added benefit of being worth more as an investment today than those are, kind of a back up emergency fund if the world hasn't ended by the time the rent is due. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom