Is Doug Friesen's advice to never touch the gun, or consent to search good advise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost a year ago, an OKC cop pulled me over. I told him I was CC'ing and had a permit. He nods and then explains to me that some officers don't disarm and some do. He says that he's pro CCL, but he's one of the officers that do.

He asks me if it's "hot" and I nod yes. He instructs me to pull it out of my IWB holster and to hand him the gun. Honestly, it threw me off and wasn't expecting this. He could tell that I was uncomfortable with this and assured me it's ok and to slowly hand him the loaded firearm.

I slowly raised my strong-side shirt and reveal my firearm and slowly pulled the firearm out by the farthest end of the grip possible. I then awkwardly handed him the firearm being careful to not point it at my legs or at him. He firmly gripped the gun away from me and walked back to his squad car.

Few minutes back, he gives me a warning and says that he supports people with CCL's and is only giving me a warning. He then hands me my firearm unloaded and my mag separately. Then he hands me my loose ammunition he unloaded from my mag separately and instructs me to not load my magazine with the ammo and ready the firearm until after his patrol car leaves.

To this day, it was one of the weirder contacts with an officer while carrying.

Good cop, in my thoughts.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost a year ago, an OKC cop pulled me over. I told him I was CC'ing and had a permit. He nods and then explains to me that some officers don't disarm and some do. He says that he's pro CCL, but he's one of the officers that do.

He asks me if it's "hot" and I nod yes. He instructs me to pull it out of my IWB holster and to hand him the gun. Honestly, it threw me off and wasn't expecting this. He could tell that I was uncomfortable with this and assured me it's ok and to slowly hand him the loaded firearm.

I slowly raised my strong-side shirt and reveal my firearm and slowly pulled the firearm out by the farthest end of the grip possible. I then awkwardly handed him the firearm being careful to not point it at my legs or at him. He firmly gripped the gun away from me and walked back to his squad car.

Few minutes back, he gives me a warning and says that he supports people with CCL's and is only giving me a warning. He then hands me my firearm unloaded and my mag separately. Then he hands me my loose ammunition he unloaded from my mag separately and instructs me to not load my magazine with the ammo and ready the firearm until after his patrol car leaves.

To this day, it was one of the weirder contacts with an officer while carrying.

Then later in the day, you are forced to draw your weapon in an effort to defend yourself. However, your weapon malfunctions and your attacker ultimately kills you. The LEO has opened up himself AND HIS DEPARTMENT to a HUGE LIABILITY by handling your weapon! What did he do while he had your weapon in his possession? Its the kind of case that alleged scumbag lawyers like Michael Gassaway dream about.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then later in the day, you are forced to draw your weapon in an effort to defend yourself. However, your weapon malfunctions and your attacker ultimately kills you. The LEO has opened up himself AND HIS DEPARTMENT to a HUGE LIABILITY by handling your weapon! What did he do while he had your weapon in his possession? Its the kind of case that alleged scumbag lawyers like Michael Gassaway dream about.

The only thing that could have been worse is if he tried to disarm me by reaching through the window and unholstering my firearm out of my IWB holster on my strongside (rightside). Me drawing my firearm opened myself and the officer up to a lot of liability and still can't believe he asked me to do that. Would have been better to ask me to step out of the vehicle and have him disarm me himself with my hands on top of the hood. At least then there's no mistake of the intentions and the dash cam doesn't show me drawing my weapon out, which looks really bad.

I'm 90% sure he ran the serial number of my firearm when he took it back to the car to check if it was stolen. Not only that, I had loaded fresh Gold Dots from the range wearing shooting gloves, so the cases were covered with just his fingerprints when he had handed them back to me.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, I'll always inform an officer that I am carrying. If an officer asked me to hand over my gun, I'll politely inform the officer that I am not touching or reaching for my weapon but if he wanted to disarm me I would not stop him. This is based on advice from my CCL class instructor.

I'd also make sure I had the officers name and badge number.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What I got from his class just over 5 years ago, if you get pulled over, don't do anything, don't reach for your insurance, don't reach for your CCL or DL, the last thing a cop wants to see is a person moving around in the car during a traffic stop. Sit in your car with your hands on the wheel until the officer approaches, and at that time, don't tell the officer you have a gun, you tell the officer you have a permit and that your weapon is on you if it is on you and wait for further instructions, and upon instructions, you tell the officer what you are doing, if he tells you to provide the CCL and DL and it is in your back pocket, you tell the officer, it is in my back pocket and ask if it is ok to reach for it. This is how I will act during a traffic, which hasn't happened since I started carrying. That part I distinctly remember, I don't recall anything about never touching the gun if asked for it, but it sounds like it would make sense.

And another thing I recall about his class when it comes being involved in an incident, and it was something like "KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!" Some people are in prison because they couldn't keep their big mouth shut.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doug Friesen gave an interesting talk and Q&A at H&H prior to November 1st to prepare us for the extension of our 2A privilege.
RKBA is not a privilege granted to us by the State, it's a natural right. Every time we call it a privilege, we concede it can be taken away from us by other people. I'd probably call the new OC law a RECOGNITION of our natural right to KBA.
:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom