Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm tired of BEING forced to be PC .

Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

You just used the expression. Will there be any repercussions? If that's the best you can come up with, it renders your cry of being forced to be PC pretty hollow.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your "freedom of speech" has never been infringed upon by OSA. Because you have no freedom of speech here. Freedom of speech protects you from the government. I'm guessing if the Westboro Baptist Church decided to set up shop on your front lawn to picket a soldier's funeral you would not have an issue with telling them to GTFO your property. That's not infringing on their FOS, it's you exercising your rights, which trump theirs.

To be clear, this is not about some misguided attempt to complain about free speech rights on a private forum. This question is about the application of the first amendment where it is appropriate.

Also, caught you lookin.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

I do wonder, what's your morality on plagiarism? That entire sentence was copy and pasted from here: Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone

I noticed you left out this part of the article; "So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together"."

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I voted NO. But just because SlugSlinger takes cheap shots and you must PM a Mod even if you don't have a problem with them or OSA.

Guys please fall in line and be the sheep your expected to be.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sometimes a spade is really just a plain old shovel.

[/B]

I do wonder, what's your morality on plagiarism? That entire sentence was copy and pasted from here: Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone

I noticed you left out this part of the article; "So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together"."

You left out the part of the article where the modern usage is clearly referring to a garden tool. It isn't racial at all. Anyone who says otherwise is exposing themselves as an overly sensitive drama queen. :rolleyes2

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Niggardly isn't racist either, yet a politician recently apologized for using it.
Ignorance of the language by race-baiters, tsk, tsk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom