Is it time? AR-15 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to make a trip, I can help you put it together.

Basically, you need a quality forged lower, whatever brand and rollmark suits your fancy ($40-100 max). Then a decent lower parts kit ($40-60 max). Quality stripped or complete upper receiver (again, max $100. Not a complete upper, just an upper receiver with forward assist and port door). Barrel - 16" is a good starter, unless you want a purpose-built with a longer or shorter barrel. Another $100-200 absolute max, for a basic barrel. Free-float rail - $120-250, depending on what you want. Buffer tube kit (<$50). Buttstock ($25-100). Low profile gas block ($25-40). Muzzle device ($20-50). Bolt carrier group ($100-200). Charging handle ($10-20)

Choosing high-end parts from that list above puts you just over 1k, and that would be one great rifle. Again, on the high end of those prices. You can get really good quality stuff and easily save $300-400 off that, easily.

That doesn't include optics, which is a whole other discussion.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Building one is fun... Biggsly & tRidiot offered to help..and if you don't like meeting new people.. Youtube has tons of AR build videos.. its not too hard. having a bench vice helps.. there are some fixtures that help hold the upper and lower receivers in the vice and keep them save while you work on them..and they are not much.. maybe 20.00 or 30.00 you wont need any special tools other then that. A company called Anderson Arms often sells blemished AR lowers "the only part you need a ffl or private sell to get"
for super cheap..like I don't know less then 50.00, people often sell complete uppers on various sites like Arms list and local Facebook groups for less than 500.00 If you get a complete upper you dont need any special tools..you can finish the build on your kitchen table... really though... don't spend a thousand dollars on your first AR.. I have built many of them...put several in my gun vault... from the top shelf stuff like Noveske all the way way down to Anderson..in the end you need an AR in your gun safe..if you can only wear a Rolex on your dainty wrist then get one...if a Casio tells the time in an acceptable manner then get a Casio.. ...

RyanH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all guys!!! I did send a few pms!

Any opinions on this???

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_04_41ffdb7557ac8b3cc21d365e3b61327a.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not bad price... first thing I'ma do is yank off that gas block and foreend, as well as that trigger guard and stock.

That's why I like building from scratch... it is 100% GUARANTEED you are going to change some things out eventually. lol. Might as well build it the way you want to from the get-go, IMO, then you don't have extra parts laying around and haven't spent initial dollars on **** you don't need. Unless upfront cash is an issue.

RyanH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not bad price... first thing I'ma do is yank off that gas block and foreend, as well as that trigger guard and stock.

That's why I like building from scratch... it is 100% GUARANTEED you are going to change some things out eventually. lol. Might as well build it the way you want to from the get-go, IMO, then you don't have extra parts laying around and haven't spent initial dollars on **** you don't need. Unless upfront cash is an issue.

I'm new to all this that's why I'm asking!

I would like to build one maybe however I'd like all the parts to be here! I wouldn't know what or order and where!

I really don't know anything about them!

My goal for this gun is to be a coyote killin machine, but yet also need it for other reasons later in life if ever needed!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With $1K to spend you are in good shape at this point in time, but don't wait. I've got a Colt and two Bushmasters that each cost less than $1K purchased during the past couple of years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom