Is the .22 Rimfire a viable self defense round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it depends on the circumstances. As a CCW, no.

In a Katrina situation, if you're on a rooftop with a 10/22 and a duffle bag full of loaded 30rd mags, I don't care who's on the receiving end of that fire, they're gonna have a bad time.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This i do not think is true...funny though!!
QUOTE:My .22 has saved me from many a rogue, charging armadillos!

If you shoot a person in the gut or throat or face i bet it will slow him down...
If i was really in the position to bug out...i would not take that heavy 30-06.. i would split with the .22 and all the ammo i could carry.
You could survive quite a long time in the sticks with a couple pockets full of ammo ...I would say a couple years easily if you make the shots count...
If the .22 you have is not reliable , you may need to rethink your ammo or cleaning habits..
I have never had issues with any of my .22's unless they were fouled up and dirty..
Now that i clean all my weapons after i am done shooting for the day i no longer have any issues..
Been doing it that way for 20 years and no issues..

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say yes, can fire until empty without recoil. 25-30 rounds in BG and Id think he/she is stopped..........then call 911.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say yes in a bug out. It is easy to toss a couple of 10/22s on your back and a pistol in your back pocket. 1 50cal ammo can will hold about 9,000 rds of 22lr.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but if someone uses it for SD they need to be using something other than bulk .22, My favorite is CCI Velocitor.
With that said I would not suggest using a 22 for someone who can handle the recoil of a 38 or 9mm but it is a viable round.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You certainly could kill someone with a 22 with proper shot placement, but with adrenaline flowing I wouldn't want to count on making a perfect shot to stop someone. There's no way I would conceal carry a .22 for stopping a human. I always get a chuckle out of these micro pistols with super short barrels chambered in 25 acp etc,. I'm thinking if you truly got in a shootout is that what you would want in your hands? Imagine a guy starts a mass shooting at a walmart and you have a 22 or some micro pistol. Sure, it may be better than nothing, but I just carry the glock 30 that packs 10 rounds of 45 acp. I hope to never need it, but it's a heck of a lot better than some small caliber pistol, IMHO.

I know this wasn't would you rather have a .22 or a 45, but if I'm going to carry then I know the direction I am going. I mean, if you are going to fool with carrying at all why not carry something that you know is adequate?

farm5.staticflickr.com_4136_4813887371_41bf2cf9bd_z.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom