More rounds vs higher caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wDoty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get both. Carry as much gun as you can, but realize there may be times that this may only be a .380. Ammo selection is more important than caliber. I’d rather carry a 9mm with HSTs than a .45 with ball.

Anyway the micro .380 has came a long way. Used to be the pistols were hard to hit with behind arms reach and held 6+1. The LCP Max holds 10-12+1 in almost the same size, and can readily headshot @ 25. Loaded with a modern ammo like Federal Punch it is a lot more gun than what one traditionally associated with .380’s.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specifically, would you rather have 12+1 in .380 if the gun was easy to carry and proven reliable, OR would you rather have 10+1 in a less-easy to carry 9mm?

Seems like past research says more ammo always better AND whatever gun comfortable enough to carry all the time (where permitted) is better than a gun you will carry only some of the time?
So for me .380 is below my minimum performance threshold for a self defense round. I won't argue with anyone if that's what they want to carry, I'm sharing what my research has come to for me personally. Although, I agree with what others have said, shot placement is key and with as bad as 95% of gun owners shoot, they should start with investing in some quality training before worrying about the "ideal" caliber.

That's being said why are these your only two options? I'm a fairly thin guy that wears clothes that fit me (i.e. not the "shoot me first" conceal carry vests etc.) and I can readily conceal a variety of 9mm pistols with comfort in summer clothes. Especially the new stack and a half pistols with red dots.

It comes down to a good belt and holster with which you should have a number of pistol options that have 13 rounds or more of 9mm plus the spare magazine that we all should be carrying. The spare mag is partly for added rounds on hand but also to remedy the cause of many gun malfunctions on the spot.

Now if I lived in a commie state where I could only carry 10 rounds of any flavor, I'd probably carry my Colt Delta Elite and make those 10 rounds count with 10mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom