Is the 25-06 obsolete/unpopular now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are still at least 11 manufactures offering 25-06 ammo. You can also get bullets from Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Berger, Swift, Missouri Bullet, PRVI in multiple types (Varmint, Big Game or Target).
Weatherby, Mossberg, Savage, Browning, Winchester, Sako, Tikka, Remington, Howa, Ruger all offer new rifles in .25-06. The .25-06 is far from obsolete.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
257 Roberts….
What I meant by giving the quarter bore the “Creedmoor treatment” is that I wonder when someone will develop a mass produced, SAAMI approved cartridge that is maximally optimized for high BC, heavy for caliber bullets in a short or standard action with fast twist rate barrels and as a result, creating the production of mass produced rifles chambered in said cartridge. I don’t think it’s been done yet?

Similar to what has been done with the 22, 6 mm and 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, 7 PRC and the 224 Valkyrie and 6mm ARC in ARs. Also 300 PRC (although a long action).

I think the only calibers left that haven’t had the “Creedmoor treatment” yet are the .257 and the .338? Out of popular North American calibers anyway…

Leaving out the 33 Nosler (along with most of the Nosler cartridges) because, although it does use modern bullet technology, it’s probably not as efficient as others mentioned and I’m guessing it’s more of an overbore cartridge.

Last edited:

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I meant by giving the quarter bore the “Creedmoor treatment” is that I wonder when someone will develop a mass produced, SAAMI approved cartridge that is maximally optimized for high BC, heavy for caliber bullets in a short or standard action with fast twist rate barrels and as a result, creating the production of mass produced rifles chambered in said cartridge. I don’t think it’s been done yet?

Similar to what has been done with the 22, 6 mm and 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, 7 PRC and the 224 Valkyrie and 6mm ARC in ARs. Also 300 PRC (although a long action).

I think the only calibers left that haven’t had the “Creedmoor treatment” yet are the .257 and the .338? Out of popular North American calibers anyway…

Leaving out the 33 Nosler (along with most of the Nosler cartridges) because, although it does use modern bullet technology, it’s probably not as efficient as others mentioned and I’m guessing it’s more of an overbore cartridge.
Idk I’d bet a company would have to get either Berger or Hornady on board to make a special bullet and load for a maximized 25 cal round cause there isn’t many option’s over 120gr I don’t believe? It would be neat though. I kinda wish the 338 Federal round took off better.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Idk I’d bet a company would have to get either Berger or Hornady on board to make a special bullet and load for a maximized 25 cal round cause there isn’t many option’s over 120gr I don’t believe? It would be neat though. I kinda wish the 338 Federal round took off better.
I agree. I believe you’re right about current bullet offerings. There may be a smaller company that makes heavier bullets for handloaders though. I’m interested in the 338 Federal myself. Nothing at all wrong with the 257 Roberts either. At normal hunting range.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Forgot about the 338 Lapua but it might be too much of a good thing in a hunting rifle…

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I agree. I believe you’re right about current bullet offerings. There may be a smaller company that makes heavier bullets for handloaders though. I’m interested in the 338 Federal myself. Nothing at all wrong with the 257 Roberts either. At normal hunting range.
Handloaders WITH custom barrels

https://bergerbullets.com/product-tag/hunting/?caliber=25-caliberhttps://bergerbullets.com/product-tag/target/?caliber=25-caliberhttps://blackjackbullets.com/product-category/bullets-brass/?v=ed5e635ddcfbSome non-conventionals
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/amp/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cutting-edge-bullets/rifle-bullets?caliber=5https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/257/

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are still at least 11 manufactures offering 25-06 ammo. You can also get bullets from Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Berger, Swift, Missouri Bullet, PRVI in multiple types (Varmint, Big Game or Target).
Weatherby, Mossberg, Savage, Browning, Winchester, Sako, Tikka, Remington, Howa, Ruger all offer new rifles in .25-06. The .25-06 is far from obsolete.

It's not a matter of who offers ammo, its the types of ammo available and the fact that you effectively have about three bullet weight options that limits the versatility of the cartridge . If you can get along with that sort of availability in lack of selection its a fine cartridge. Much like the 270 is limited by the fact there are 3 or four bullet weights ( I am not talking about the new long high bc 6.8 bullets mind you ) .

What I just mentioned is why the 30 cal has reigned supreme for all these decades , lots of options in bullet weights and construction .

Yeah the 25 is sorta obsolete or at least obsolescent and became so when the 6mm calibers showed up on the market in the 1950's more bullet choices and velocities right up there with the 25's 25-06 is far from a best seller for rifle or ammo makers

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a 25 Creedmoor, it is an extremely accurate round. With the guys from Blackjack (local Okies by the way) getting Speer to make the 131 Ace bullets they got a lot of people shooting 25s again for competition. Speer won't make the 131 Ace anymore, but Berger has the 115, 133, & 135 offerings.

Say what you will about the Creedmoors, but using 1 case I can neck up or down and load for my kids' 6 Creedmoor competition rifles, my 25 Creedmoor competition rifle, or a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle? And then if I get tired of loading those I can cut the case and resize for 8.6 Blackout? Complain all you want, having that many options is very appealing to a lot of people, even those of us with shiny heads that will never (and would never) sport a man-bun... ;-) There might not be anything special when you look at 243 vs 6CM or 25.06 vs 25CM or 6.5x55 Swede vs 6.5 CM, but it's sure nice to only have to worry about 1 case to load for whatever application it will be used for.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the threads old but it’s rare ppl talk about the .25-06, so I had to partake. Attached is the 1st rifle my father gave me for Christmas when I was 12. A Sig SHR 970 in .25-06. This is a fantastic caliber, I’ve never had deer run for than 50 yards, same for antelope and mulies. It’s a bit underpowered for elk, but it has killed 1. Granted I’m partial, but if I had to pick an all-around gun for hunting in middle America, this is it.

Attachments

• 05637026-5253-4CC2-9B39-51602731EF91.jpeg
    05637026-5253-4CC2-9B39-51602731EF91.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom