Is the Internet killing religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy discussing God. But not religion. Most people don't even understand what religion is. Once you get past "the bible says", I think real proof exists. And Jesus had it about right. It's hard to argue that Love and Altruism doesn't exist, yet came from somewhere. There's no rational explanation.

Just out of curiosity, how can one discuss God without discussing religion? After all, each religion pretty much has their own god(s). Oddly enough, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all share the same god, but call Him by different names and worship Him in different ways.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how can one discuss God without discussing religion? After all, each religion pretty much has their own god(s). Oddly enough, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all share the same god, but call Him by different names and worship Him in different ways.

I think this is the way the Chrisitan church in America is moving. Many of us are still Christians and our ranks are growing. I think what we are not is denominational Christians. The last two churches I attended, one in Oklahoma and one here in Anchorage do not require any type of formalized membership like many denominations do. They don't call themselves First Methodist or First Baptist and if they are affiliated you really have to dig deep to find it. I also think a lot of Chrisitians are growing disenfranchised with the mega churches and celebrity pastors and the prosperity gospel.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is the way the Chrisitan church in America is moving. Many of us are still Christians and our ranks are growing. I think what we are not is denominational Christians. The last two churches I attended, one in Oklahoma and one here in Anchorage do not require any type of formalized membership like many denominations do. They don't call themselves First Methodist or First Baptist and if they are affiliated you really have to dig deep to find it. I also think a lot of Chrisitians are growing disenfranchised with the mega churches and celebrity pastors and the prosperity gospel.

I agree. A prime example in Oklahoma is LifeChurch (lifechurch.tv). You can watch services over the internet and they have a world-wide impact though their affiliate churches making use of their internet service plus their free bible app. Check it out!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I'm not sure it's the same God. 3 very distinct religions have very different ideas about the God they worship. Each claim to worship the true God.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the same God. 3 very distinct religions have very different ideas about the God they worship. Each claim to worship the true God.

It's a circular argument. It's their God. To each of them it's true. As I tell my denominational friends the Baptist's don't own God anymore then the Jews do.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a circular argument. It's their God. To each of them it's true. As I tell my denominational friends the Baptist's don't own God anymore then the Jews do.

Which is a reason I'm not fond of discussing religion vs discussing Gods existence. Beliefs must be checked at the door. It's hard but doable.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lack of religion is a big part of America's problem. We need to move this country back to its Judeo-Christian roots.

Please dont. They said the same things in 1776....let's go back to our roots. It's prolly been said ever since Paul got blinded. Maybe before that even. The Christian religion practiced today bears very little resemblence to our American roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom