Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost bought a plain one about 20 years ago at a outdoor event where people set up to peddle outdoorsy goodies.

I was following the dude that had one slung on his shoulder he was looking to sell as we was walking the rows looking at vendors stuff.

About 3 rows in and a friend of mine who also set up as a vendor came walking cross rows and says "say, whatcha got there?", he ended up buying it! ☹️

Guess I shoulds got while the getting was good! It was about $300 the guy wanted for it.

I can see them being nice that most people seeing you carry one will not recognizes it as a weapon like that demon ar15! 😁

But what sucks is the mags they take.
They really should make them take ar mags.

Today I would not pay much more for one than a cheapest bargain sale priced ar15.

My Okie brother had one when he lived in Prior that got stolen! Never recovered! ☹️

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will take a Mini 14 over an AR any day.
IMG_7860.jpeg
IMG_7861.jpeg
IMG_7862.jpeg
IMG_7863.jpeg
IMG_7864.jpeg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ol’ “tastes great-less filling” debate. Don’t see it being a legitimate debate one way or the other but more of a bacon or sausage thing. I’m 55 years old and have fired a few hundred guns over the years none of which were ARs. What always scratched me where itched seemed to be 1940’s era and earlier firearms so that’s what I always bought. Oh, maybe about 6 years ago I thought to myself “I don’t want to be the only idiot without an AR if the pucky were to really hit the fan so I built one with an Anderson receiver and a PSA upper (stainless-Wylde). Six years later and I may have fired 100 rounds through it, none of which were in the past 4 years. The rifle doesn’t function in the way I’m accustomed ie safety, mag release and a few others things which to me are awkward so it sits at the back of the safe. I’m much more comfortable with my Minis and let’s face it, for the intended purpose it’s better to have what I’m comfortable with then what someone else thinks is a superior platform.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ol’ “tastes great-less filling” debate. Don’t see it being a legitimate debate one way or the other but more of a bacon or sausage thing. I’m 55 years old and have fired a few hundred guns over the years none of which were ARs. What always scratched me where itched seemed to be 1940’s era and earlier firearms so that’s what I always bought. Oh, maybe about 6 years ago I thought to myself “I don’t want to be the only idiot without an AR if the pucky were to really hit the fan so I built one with an Anderson receiver and a PSA upper (stainless-Wylde). Six years later and I may have fired 100 rounds through it, none of which were in the past 4 years. The rifle doesn’t function in the way I’m accustomed ie safety, mag release and a few others things which to me are awkward so it sits at the back of the safe. I’m much more comfortable with my Minis and let’s face it, for the intended purpose it’s better to have what I’m comfortable with then what someone else thinks is a superior platform.
Exactly! If someone made an M-1 carbine in 5.56 that used AR mags I would be all over that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom