Academy going down the tubes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I used to stop in once a week and just check things out. I’ve only been in there 3 times or so in the last year. Did they start carrying AR style rifles again or are they still holding on to the virtue signaling?
I agree with @Capm_Spaulding too. I went in there to look for boots and there is ‘something off’ with theirs. Can’t really put a finger on it though.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a while since I actually went inside an Academy to buy something. I've picked up a couple of larger online orders, but about the only stuff I'll buy is when I get a really nice deal online and just ship it to the house.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when Academy was a surplus store. Went to one in Austin TX all the time when I lived there. Few good deals then they started expending and went to all new items. This was in '85, '86.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Academy made my address not me into a prohibited person in their store because my old roommate complained about how they handled a transaction with him. They let him leave the store with the firearm he passed nics, but he told them that making him wait 9 days to get his gun was wrong. 6 months later I attempted to buy a rifle and even though I got a proceed from nics in 5 minutes they refused to sell me the gun.
Their reason was they did.not like my roomate's comments, bottom line was that they let him have his gun, but blocked the address from buying. I complained to ATF waste of time and I spent the money at my LGS instead. That move cost them business as I shared the story here and every other gun related site I frequent. So anyone who resides here after I leave this rental will be prohibited too.
So think twice before spending money with them.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wanted to buy my son in law a double rifle case for his ar15 and mini 14, wanted good American made electronic ear pro, lastly a nice bipod.

Academy had 1 option for the case and it was pricey, eat pro wasn’t much better with many made in china, bipod options were pretty scarce too. Came home and ordered online. Sucks but I needed options.

Anyone else noticed a very limited selection there? I did buy some ammo so not all is lost.
I'll be going to the new one near me this weekend. What specifically are you looking for? I can pick it up and ship it to you.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won't be much longer till you can just drive to the Scheels in Tulsa.
Scheels is coming to Tulsa? I hadn’t heard that. I went to Scheels (The Colony) last week when I was in Dallas. I was amazed by the size of the store and the selection of merchandise. It was like being in a multi-level mall dedicated to sporting goods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom