Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I break out the AR’s , I generally have more fun shooting my retro A1 rifle than my 6920.
Is capable of doing the exact same work the A1 is while also looking retro-cool

I had one in the 90’s with a Choate wood side folder (mimicked the GB stock) -

Would love to re-visit the concept with a newer model and the Samson stock, - As has already been noted they are quite expensive nowadays and an additional 350 bucks for the stock put them close to M1a territory , and I know somebody could scratch around and find a CMP garland for less , but those are major rifles and not conducive to being a “ just toss it behind the seat in the truck and let’s hit the woods“ type of machine like the Mini 14

But regarding the price of these going up, has anybody priced a new production lever action gun of any caliber lately? 1k and up seems to be the buy in there now too For the type of guns that used to line pawnshop shelves for 150 bucks and sit there for months

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if a gun isn't = or >AR-15 it's obsolete? That's an interesting definition.

No, that's not the point of what I wrote. If you understoond the premise; it is implying that if there are 2 products in same market and one of the products has no benefit over the other (Cost, function, availability, efficiencies, etc) and in most areas doesn't even equate then that product is now obsolete.

This is a good example of how understanding the meaning of what is written is beneficial.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't think of a single advantage of a mini-14 over an AR platform and very few areas where a Mini-14 is even equal to an AR platform.

To me, that is the definition of obsolete.

Mini-14 vs AR-15. That's what you're comparing.

No, that's not the point of what I wrote. If you understoond the premise; it is implying that if there are 2 products in same market and one of the products has no benefit over the other (Cost, function, availability, efficiencies, etc) and in most areas doesn't even equate then that product is now obsolete.

This is a good example of how understanding the meaning of what is written is beneficial.

Just because you can't think of an advantage doesn't mean others see it the same way. Some people like the old-school appeal of the Mini-14 over the AR. Whether it's a big deal in this area or not, it is in some areas...the Mini-14 doesn't inflame most non-gun people like an AR sometimes does because the Mini has a more traditional look. The gas system is cleaner than a DI AR-15. They use the same ammo and have the same standard magazine capacity. The Mini-14 isn't banned in some areas where the AR-15 is (for new buyers)...CA and DE come to mind.

There you go...several (mostly objective) instances of where the Mini is = or > an AR-15. I think we all know the distinct advantages the AR has over the Mini.

And if you'd say what you mean, like you did in the second post above, instead of "implying" what you hoped others would understand you to mean like in the first post, you wouldn't have to blame your poor communication skills on others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mini-14 vs AR-15. That's what you're comparing.

Just because you can't think of an advantage doesn't mean others see it the same way. Some people like the old-school appeal of the Mini-14 over the AR. Whether it's a big deal in this area or not, it is in some areas...the Mini-14 doesn't inflame most non-gun people like an AR sometimes does because the Mini has a more traditional look. The gas system is cleaner than a DI AR-15. They use the same ammo and have the same standard magazine capacity. The Mini-14 isn't banned in some areas where the AR-15 is (for new buyers)...CA and DE come to mind.

There you go...several (mostly objective) instances of where the Mini is = or > an AR-15. I think we all know the distinct advantages the AR has over the Mini.

And if you'd say what you mean, like you did in the second post above, instead of "implying" what you hoped others would understand you to mean like in the first post, you wouldn't have to blame your poor communication skills on others.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just someone that argues just to argue? Either way; must be miserable.

To quote you: "Just because you can't think of an advantage doesn't mean others see it the same way" Umm, that's exactly what I wrote - my opinion, lol

The 'advantages' (according to you) of a mini-14 are such a stretch that you must do yoga...seriously, inflaming people? WTF

Again, 2 items in a category. 1 item has no advantages (and a lot of nonequivalencies) over the other. That is the obsolete item of that category. Doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it is useless - but it is obsolete. That's pretty basic.

Good luck in your reading comprehension and understanding going forward.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1705258244315.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom