Is this a double standard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why didn't just have sent the body over to chechnia to his family deal with his body?

Because Russia has a law in place that dead terrorist's remains are not returned to the family for burial. They are buried in an undisclosed location by the state, so that no shrine or rallying point can be created for their martyrdom.

I may not be the best person to comment on this subject. To me a body is just decomposing flesh. The soul does not reside within. You can't keep a dead body, so what's the point of enshrining it within a tomb and placing a grave marker exactly? I prefer to be cremated and have my ashes scattered. Perhaps those ashes will nourish a tree or plant. As for my rememberance, I prefer it be for my deeds than the location of my mortal remains.

As for the expressions of disgust with our enemies, I fail to understand the problem with it. You're saying that a person is so vile and repunant, that they no longer deserve to breathe the same air, yet you can't treat them without dignity? There's a reason to call our enemies terrorists rather than "insurgents" or "enemy combatants". It's no different than calling the Germans "Krauts" or Japanese "Nips" in WWII. On some level, you have to objectify the enemy in order to overcome moral objections to killing them in wholesale fashion. Granted that's less necessary these days with our remotely operated, push button warfare capabilities, but at some point, you have to put a rifle in someone's hands and send them out amongst the worst of the worst. Demanding that they be treated with dignity and respect while physically obliterating them is only going to increase the psychological trauma of our returning veterans.

It's a tough call either way you lean. :(

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe what the lady did was kind and all but, I don't understand why they just couldn't bury him at sea like they did UBL.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because Russia has a law in place that dead terrorist's remains are not returned to the family for burial. They are buried in an undisclosed location by the state, so that no shrine or rallying point can be created for their martyrdom.

I may not be the best person to comment on this subject. To me a body is just decomposing flesh. The soul does not reside within. You can't keep a dead body, so what's the point of enshrining it within a tomb and placing a grave marker exactly? I prefer to be cremated and have my ashes scattered. Perhaps those ashes will nourish a tree or plant. As for my rememberance, I prefer it be for my deeds than the location of my mortal remains.

As for the expressions of disgust with our enemies, I fail to understand the problem with it. You're saying that a person is so vile and repunant, that they no longer deserve to breathe the same air, yet you can't treat them without dignity? There's a reason to call our enemies terrorists rather than "insurgents" or "enemy combatants". It's no different than calling the Germans "Krauts" or Japanese "Nips" in WWII. On some level, you have to objectify the enemy in order to overcome moral objections to killing them in wholesale fashion. Granted that's less necessary these days with our remotely operated, push button warfare capabilities, but at some point, you have to put a rifle in someone's hands and send them out amongst the worst of the worst. Demanding that they be treated with dignity and respect while physically obliterating them is only going to increase the psychological trauma of our returning veterans.

It's a tough call either way you lean. :(

^^^this makes sense to me^^^^

Latest posts

Top Bottom