Is this a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-hornady-lock-n-load-classic-8482-reloading-kit.shtml

I've been thinking of getting into reloading, and was looking into some different presses. Being on a college budget, and not reloading much as I don't get to shoot too often I thought it was a good deal

I read some of the other threads on beginners and what press to get, but I wanted specific advice on this press.

I will reload .270 wsm when/if I get that rifle, .284 for my Ruger M77, and a very minimal chance of .40 S&W.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanna get in on reloading on the cheap there are always LEE kits but i dont like the scale that comes with them. I feel if you are serious about it and going to keep at it a steel O frame is the way to go for a single stage. I started with a RCBS rock chucker II kit when i was about 14 or 15 and not had any trouble out of it. The hornady stuff from when I have looked it over looks solid. That kit has everything you need to get started outside of a case trimmer and dial caliper. I also like a balance scale to check against a digital.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ YES! Lot of reloading stuff is indestructable if cared for. Bought a second single stage press off there and some dies once. The press was a OLD Pacific C frame. Those later became hornady reloading equipment. I gave a whopping $25 for it.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also saw they have the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit for the same price right now. Both have rebates if purchased before the end of the year.

Is one really THAT much better than the other? Warranty is lifetime for both brands.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Lock'n'Load dies on the Hornady would be a big benefit for a single stage.

Thanks! So many friggin choices to look at with this stuff. Reading reviews of the Hornady kit and RCBS kit I really don't think I can go wrong with either.

I think I'm leaning towards the Hornady kit as their rebates is 500 bullets with paying $14.95 shipping and handling.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never owned the Hornady L&L but have several friends with it and they love it. I have two rock chuckers, and use them for the heavy duty stuff. Loading the magnum rifle cases requires a pretty good press with a good mechanical advantage, which both of them do. I think if I was limited to one press, especially a single stage press it would be the Hornady Lock 'N Load for the quick change feature. You can set up all your dies with the inserts and make changing calibers very quick and easy. Welcome to the reloading world. You won't actually save any money, but you will shoot way more for the same amount... Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom