Is this legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delphidoc

New to the site!
Reaction score
My wife is going to give, not sell, her P938 to our son who lives in San Antonio. He told her she can just ship it directly to him since she's not selling it. My Spydie sense tells me this has to be done through FFLs since it's across state lines. I'm not even sure if this can be done within a state assuming both parties live in that state. What do y'all think?

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, and I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, interstate shipping of a firearms between non-licensed individuals is not legal, period. For that matter, transferring it to another individual across state lines without passing thru a FFL is not legal either. There are licensed dealers and lawyers here who will come along and confirm or dispute this.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
resident of a state to resident of same state - legal, though in my experience, shippers will only ship to an ffl.....one state to a different state must be via a destination ffl....does not have to be an ffl on your end but the person that receives it must use an ffl....and you will need to enclose a copy of your drivers license with the firearm....

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
resident of a state to resident of same state - legal, though in my experience, shippers will only ship to an ffl.....one state to a different state must be via a destination ffl....does not have to be an ffl on your end but the person that receives it must use an ffl....and you will need to enclose a copy of your drivers license with the firearm....
This is how I remember it. And I can't recall about selling to someone living in the same state with out of state drivers license. I purchased a lower from a guy in Kansas and called a couple of FFLs and asked them if I could just meet him somewhere in-between they responded don't ask don't tell. Long story short I used an FFL.

titsonritz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned above it is illegal. I makes no sense since firearms are a federally regulated item, but show me a gun control law that does make sense. I think there should at least be an exception for immediate family members but there is not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom