Is your retro rifle your SHTF gun? How do you have it set up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know AR's are the goto for SHTF planning, but I have been considering giving one of these more range time since i got it. And a fun look IMHO:
View attachment 478163

Is that the Bushmaster ? Very cool if so - if not, still cool whatever it is

One more thought in general - the reason I love my retro format rifles so much and I reach for them often is the weight - when tricking out a retro , one should be careful not to turn a trim 6 lb weapon into a 10 lb turd

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that the Bushmaster ? Very cool if so - if not, still cool whatever it is

One more thought in general - the reason I love my retro format rifles so much and I reach for them often is the weight - when tricking out a retro , one should be careful not to turn a trim 6 lb weapon into a 10 lb turd
Yupper...The Bushmaster M17. That one, like mine has the K&M Aerospace upgrade package. It's still kind fugly, but it performs for sure.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that they are sub-optimal. I just have the itch to get another rifle. I have this compulsion to make sure every firearm I own is set up in a way that I could adequately defend my family and community if necessary.
Just buy another gun if you want another gun, don’t try to rationalize it as something it’s not.

I have a magazine fed bolt action Ruger gunsite scout set up in a scout configuration that I have taken general-purpose rifle classes with and I know for a fact, I can run that gun hard and defend my family and community with it. What other pointed out though is it is sub optimal to other choices and wouldn’t be my go to gun ever.

It does have the unique advantage of being 50 state legal though, so it has a companied me on some trips.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to have one for hunting at 50 feet, one good for 50-100 yards. One for 100-200, did we mention antelope are hard to get so close to so another for out to 400 yards, then, because antelope and mule deer are so hard to get in close with, you need one to reach 600 yards. Now for those longer range shots you simply must have a setup capable to 1,000 yards.

OK, now for black powder you need a .36 squirrel gun, then something ranging up to 50 for the short range deer. Then you need a large bore to show the deer you mean business.

Next up are the low walls and high walls because accurate shooting sports.

Should we start on revolvers or semi auto pistols next?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to have one for hunting at 50 feet, one good for 50-100 yards. One for 100-200, did we mention antelope are hard to get so close to so another for out to 400 yards, then, because antelope and mule deer are so hard to get in close with, you need one to reach 600 yards. Now for those longer range shots you simply must have a setup capable to 1,000 yards.

OK, now for black powder you need a .36 squirrel gun, then something ranging up to 50 for the short range deer. Then you need a large bore to show the deer you mean business.

Next up are the low walls and high walls because accurate shooting sports.

Should we start on revolvers or semi auto pistols next?
All you need is an 8x57 Mauser Karabiner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom