It has finally happened to me.....help please,G21sf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned lots of hand guns including several glocks. Guess the odds have caught up with me. Just bought a G21sf, have had it out to the range twice and about 80% of the spent brass hits me in the face/head/shoulders. The gun is second hand but looked as new/never fired when I bought it. I looked at how the ejector makes contact with the back of the casing and it hits at about the 8:00 to 9:00 position. You'd think that would fling it nearly straight to the right...not so. I even have some of it wind up behind me a slightly to my LEFT. Please, any help???:cry11:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens with equal regularity with federal cheapie ball, 230gr HP mild reload and 200gr JSWC mid-range reload. These are the same kind of loads I used in a very recently sold 21sf with no trouble.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor should hit nearer 9 o'clock. Does G21 have a replacement extra power recoil spring perhaps? Factory assy is black plastic with a dull finish steel flat coil spring. As mentioned in this thread, check ammo. Weak ammo could well cause what you describe. 170+ PF ammo will give normal ejection, but weaker stuff may not.

Scott_In_OKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could the previous owner have switched ejectors or springs on it?

ETA: If your ammo functioned reliably in a factory spec 21SF, something on this one is not as it left the factory, IMHO.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor should hit nearer 9 o'clock. Does G21 have a replacement extra power recoil spring perhaps? Factory assy is black plastic with a dull finish steel flat coil spring. As mentioned in this thread, check ammo. Weak ammo could well cause what you describe. 170+ PF ammo will give normal ejection, but weaker stuff may not.

The gun was so new when I got it the followers weren't even scuffed but I'll check the recoil spring. I can believe weak ammo but the factory fmj aught to function better than this. Think I'll hunt down some remington or winchester ball. My reloads are on the weak side but have never had problems before like this. I can't move the ejector any higher because it already rides just under the slide/breach face area. Thanks for the help.

hwhattt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am shooting cheap winchester ammo from my G21sf have not had any problems with ammo hitting me. I have noticed that a lot of it goes a little to the right behind me. I am right handed.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all of you who have responded. The recoil spring is stock. Extracter spring...I guess it's stock. Doesn't look like its been fooled with. I did try bending the ejector outward just a hair and know hits the back of the shell just a little closer to the rim. Still well in-board though. As soon as I find some ball by a different manufacturer I'll take it to the range. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom