Its that time, I need to change of industry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the natural gas industry. Loving it. training to be a plant operator of sorts. I know in our area all sorts of companies (including who i work for) are hiring from everything to truck drivers to mechanics I&E techs (what i went to school for actually) to field operators to many other things. Oil field can make a ton of money but when the boom lays off you can get laid off. I could probably make twice the money there but I feel this is a more steady position and a bit safer.

Are you a journeyman or anything of the sort?

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be a shoe in for being a service technician for medical lab equipment. You'd travel to different hospitals daily working on equipment, but great working conditions inside heated and cooled labs. Most of the time, you are a sight for sore eyes to the med techs and almost always a very friendly environment. A few of the bigger companies are Beckman Coulter, Roche Diagnostics, Dade Behring, and Abbott Diagnostics. I'd recommend Beckman or Abbott first, but they are all very large multinational companies. I know one guy that services some equipment at OU Medical Center (I worked there for over 6 years) who has been with Beckman for something like 20+ years and still loves it.

C

Clay

Ever thought about CADD drafting and design? You obviously already know how to read prints, so learn to put them together. A couple simple CADD classes at the local Tech school will get you a job. There are LOTS of jobs out there in CADD design. I have been doing it for 21 years and I still like it. Its always 73* in my office too.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever thought about CADD drafting and design? You obviously already know how to read prints, so learn to put them together. A couple simple CADD classes at the local Tech school will get you a job. There are LOTS of jobs out there in CADD design. I have been doing it for 21 years and I still like it. Its always 73* in my office too.

Yep, not a bad profession, been doin it myself for goin on 40 years. Course it wasn't Cadd drafting the first 20 years, it was pencil drafting. Man I'm gettin old.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I hadn't thought about doing it as a profession but I have actually done some design in the past as a hobby. Any advice on where has the best classes?

Great advice from everyone I absolutely appreciate all the advice. I feel like an old man even though I'm only 25 so I'm shaky on leaving my current career path. But there are many better options out there that would make me much happier at work than what I have now. I really want a job where I don't constantly watch the clock to leave. I haven't felt that way about electrical work since my second year in.

BigTulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have stated this.... I'm trying to not cripple myself before I'm 40, I've got too many injuries from my current position. A desk job would be awesome but probably not going to happen.

Thought about maybe electrical design? My brother was an industrial electrician then happened upon a job as an electrical engineer without any training. Not saying it would be easy, but he drafts up electrical designs for new construction. Joplin School District was one he collaborated on. Rogers County Courthouse another. He had to learn CAD in a hurry, but he's been doing this now for about 10 years.

EDIT: doh, sorry I didn't read further..I see someone else suggested the same as I did.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like kids, you can work with me and be a Speical Education Teacher. Moore is in desperate need of any male teachers. Oklahoma offers an alternative certification for people with at least a bachelors degree in anyhting. IF you have one and need any information PM me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom