IWB: Loops or Clips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer loops or clips on you IWB holsters?

• Loops

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Clips

Votes: 29 44.6%

• Total voters

Quail Fat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer loops because they are more secure. Twice I had the entire clip holster pop out of my pants. Once was at crossroads mall at the kiddy play area. The gun and holster bounced off the squishy floor.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all holsters with clips are made equally.

Some downright SUCK !

Others have it "right"

The thing about clips is that they require a good belt, whereas loops won't pull off a Jethro rope-belt.

Stability is another issue, of course..........

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If all you are interested in is carrying the gun then clips will be just fine. It will hold onto your belt just fine most of the time.

However one has to assume that if you are carrying a firearm in an IWB holster, you are anticipating the possibility of having to defend yourself.

Thus you are anticipating a fight of some sort and clips don't hold up well in fights.

The body being kydex is not a big deal but the clips are a liability. A holster is only as good as its weakest linkl and plastic clips are a weak link.

A kydex body with leather loops like the Comp-Tac Infidel or C-Tac willl work fine. I prefer leather but if you like kydex, just make sure the link to your belt is not plastic.

Michael Brown

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using one Comp-Tac shirt tucker IWB or another every single day for years. The single and only problem that I've ever had was when I first started using this rig I broke the clip several times, that was years ago now though. Security of the rig has never been a problem and I've used it in lots of different scenarios. I have to take it on and off several times a day and the need to be discreet is very high so clips are a must for me.

pete156

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said before, I've only used clips so far and they've always been metal. I definately wouldn't consider the use of plastic clips at all.

I got a holster from UBG a while back and I was super impressed with the clips he used. They looked like a standard clip, but they had a little hook built in that was made to grab the underside of your belt. They were the most secure clips I've seen so far.

Sadly, he said he doesn't use them anymore. I was truly impressed with them and want them on the last couple of holsters I ordered from him. :(

Now the clips he used on my most recent holster have the strongest grab of any I've seen yet on any holster. I don't see these letting go for anything. I would like them a bit better with the hook though. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom