IWB: Loops or Clips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer loops or clips on you IWB holsters?

• Loops

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Clips

Votes: 29 44.6%

• Total voters

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If all you are interested in is carrying the gun then clips will be just fine. It will hold onto your belt just fine most of the time.

However one has to assume that if you are carrying a firearm in an IWB holster, you are anticipating the possibility of having to defend yourself.

Thus you are anticipating a fight of some sort and clips don't hold up well in fights.

The body being kydex is not a big deal but the clips are a liability. A holster is only as good as its weakest linkl and plastic clips are a weak link.

A kydex body with leather loops like the Comp-Tac Infidel or C-Tac willl work fine. I prefer leather but if you like kydex, just make sure the link to your belt is not plastic.

Michael Brown

This is why I prefer Leather with loops. I have had a couple of holsters with metal clips and they are fine if I am just sitting or standing around, but if I am active they tend to come loose. I was at a park once just running around with my kids and the metal clip flexed enough and loosened from my belt and the holster rode up and almost fell out - I was able to catch it between my shirt and body before it fell.

The holsters I have with loops are all the snap loops, so they don't really slow me down much if I have to remove or replace my holster.

I have never tried the plastic or kydex clips but they just don't look like they would hold up.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used clips exclusively until I once drew my from my Comp-Tac Undercover while seated (in car) and the entire holster came out. I then experimented and found it almost always happened, even with a bull hide beltman and looper kydex belt. The clips made it nice for easy on/off, but coming off the belt even once was not acceptable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom