Jacket separation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, after shooting on Saturday, it looked like my target had been peppered with staples from a shotgun shell, rather than a handgun. Found lots of little copper pieces in the target area. Pretty sure its shedding the jacket, wondered if anyone has run into this? I'm told that match grade barrels have sharper rifling that can make this happen. I was shooting an XDM .40 with Blazer Brass ammo. Couldn't tell if it was just the ammo, but it seems like the WWB did not have this problem.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this before, maybe two years ago, with the now-discontinued American Eagle (AMERC) brand in 9mm. Appearance you describe, shot from about 3 yards, out of a stock Glock barrel.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side note, for sunday's shoot, I did not notice the shotgun effect from the jacket, however, there was a tail on the bullet hole, making it look like a cherry with the stem went into the target, which we also guessed was probably the jacket. Interbuttz research has turned up nothing so far...

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all from the same box of ammo? What do you have your target fastend to? if it is not a nice flat surface the holes can be wierd.

The other day we were shooting riffles and noticed a little of your "shotgun" effect, we were shooting real estate signs, and determined that the splatter holes in our paper was paint coming back away from the impact (think when you shoot into water and the splash coming back) it made small holes and tears all around our bullet holes. did not do it with every shot, sometimes it did sometimes it didn't. just an idea for ya.

Latest posts

Top Bottom