Jacketed .38 Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for some jacketed bullets to make some .38 special. It can be any of the FMJ, SP, JHP, CMJ ,but prefer SP or JHP. It will be for a lighter load.

What are your recommendations for brand of bullets, weight of bullets, and powder charges?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without knowing the purpose of this round.........I'd suggest some of the Berry's plated from J&K.
They makes regular runs up Tulsa way.
You might contact them via this board.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wanting to order some of the MG jacketed HP .38 bullets, just haven't gotten around to it.

They have 3 options now, 125gr JHP, 142gr FMJ, 158gr JHP. If you get a case, you can get any of those for right around $0.10 per bullet. Not bad for jacketed rounds.

Here's what they have:
https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it would be for planking / practice. Its for my S&W airweight. So Im looking to make a lighter recoil round until I get used it.

Would like to stay away from lead. Tried my hand at loading lead but been having trouble so moving to jacketed.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, trying to make light target loads in a .38 special with jacketed bullets is a way to get a bullet stuck in the barrel.

If you don't want to use a 148gr LWC, suggest you get plated (Berry or Ranier) 148gr WC and use 3.2gr 231/HP38 (or equivalent loads in Bullseye, Titegroup, etc). The plated are soft enough not to stick but don't require bullet lube.

You should clean ALL the copper out of a barrel before shooting lead, and vice versa.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Berry's 158gr palted round nose are pretty good for the price. Otherwise you could just pick up any bullet at your favorite supply place. The Hornady XTP's are top notch for accuracy. Montana Gold also makes excellent bullets for a lot less than the Hornady's.

For a potential new match revolver load, I'm going to be trying out the new Hornady 140gr FTX bullets this fall. I picked up 4 boxes from a friend for less than $20 per hundred. They're pricey, but that nose profile looks like it might be the ticket for a fast reload. I'm going to drive some at magnum velocities too, so I can see how they perform. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom