Javelina Hunt in S Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back Sunday night from S Texas. We hunted near Ft Stockton and had a great hunt. Eight of us went from Stillwater, Gracemont, Muskogee and Keller, Tx. We got there Wednesday about noon and started hunting that afternoon. Some of the spots we had 2 guys hunting together. I was with my cousin Bart from Gracemont. Here he is in our blind.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_2012_02_23080446.jpg

We didn't see any javis that day. We later learned where they were coming from and we were in the wrong spot for the wind. Some of the other guys got shots that night and 1 javilena was harvested by my brother Darrell, which ended up being the biggest one ever taken on the ranch we were on at 65 lbs. We were hunting over feeders and there were tons of mule deer there. You could not scare them away from the feed. At the time I took this picture, there were 25 of them within 25 yards of me and the closest was about 8 yards. This stand was the honey hole of the trip. There were at least 11 shots taken there with 4 javis taken. I killed one here on Sunday morning.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_2012_02_26081308.jpg

We finally figured out where they were coming in from on my spot and were able to wait till they got on the feed and then sneak in on them. I was hunting with a friend from TX that day and he had already missed several shots at them at the honey hole so he had to hunt with me at the stand with less action. I told him not to wait on me if he had a good shot and we stalked in to 15 yrds when he got a good chance and shot. He gut shot it but was able to chase it down and finish it with a rifle. He was wearing his Sako .243 on his back but took it off for the pic. Here he is with his javi.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_2012_02_23171007.jpg

The next night the wind shifted and I was hunting by myself when 9 of them came in. I was sitting in this blind and the one I killed walked around the left side of the big clump of grass on the left of the feeder. I shot her at 12 yrds and hit a little forward of the lungs but got jugular and she died within 30 yrds. She weighed 57 lbs and was the 3rd largest of the trip.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_2012_02_22175123.jpg

By the end of the hunt on Sun morning we had harvested 9 javelina. Two of the guys did not get any and one never got a shot although he did have some close but had left his bow and was looking for arrowheads around an old Indian camp when it walked up. We have already made our reservations for next year. We did get one coyote on the trip. Bart cooked up the backstraps on the grill. I came in last that night and they told me it was deer but when I couldn't bite a piece off, I guessed what they had done. I think he overcooked it but I'm not sure I would want to eat medium rare coyote. Here is a hero pic of the whole group and 7 of the javelinas.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_attachment2a.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics and story, are those peccary's worth eating?

One of my brothers eats them and says they are fine but you have to be very careful cleaning them and keep the hair off the meat and then change gloves before you handle the meat and wash the knife again before cutting the meat. When I ate it, it tasted good going down but if you burped, the smell of their glands came up.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were there other groups that hunted with you?

A buddy of mine from Texas went on a javelina hunt in ST during this time.

IF there were folks not with your group, was one of them a big guy named Jamie?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use to live in South Texas and have killed lots of javelina. I tried cooking some a few times and never got it cooked where I could make myself swallow..It truly did taste like a skunk smells. Also got the biggest dose of fleas and ticks I've ever had in my life..I do think they make an interesting mount...I got one over my desk and it seems to give me something to talk about instead of working..

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were there other groups that hunted with you?

A buddy of mine from Texas went on a javelina hunt in ST during this time.

IF there were folks not with your group, was one of them a big guy named Jamie?

We were the only ones on the big ranch we were on. Had the house to ourselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom