Jeep or Toyota

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for the 4Runner. Mine's held up great and is approaching the 200k mark. Should have better resale value as well--not sure about the JGCs, but 4Runners in good shape are *coveted*. When shopping for the one I now own, there were a handful of vehicles that were listed hours before I inquired about them, but when I was about to drive down to see them they ALL had been purchased. After being listed for mere HOURS. Infuriating as a buyer, delightful as a seller.

Good luck OP, choose the one that aligns closest with your needs, and gives you the most smiles/mile!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FCFD82F5-1594-431C-A219-157EB06F4734.jpeg
Another vote for the 4Runner. Mine's held up great and is approaching the 200k mark. Should have better resale value as well--not sure about the JGCs, but 4Runners in good shape are *coveted*. When shopping for the one I now own, there were a handful of vehicles that were listed hours before I inquired about them, but when I was about to drive down to see them they ALL had been purchased. After being listed for mere HOURS. Infuriating as a buyer, delightful as a seller.

Good luck OP, choose the one that aligns closest with your needs, and gives you the most smiles/mile!

I sold my old one in under 12 hours ..... and and could have had a bidding war between 2 buyers if i was prick. The 1st guy offered more than my ask price once i told him someone was buying it. I did tear up as it drove away , felt like a wife leaving me..... but i got every penny i put in it back out of it

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toyota...TOYOTA...TOYOTA!

As others have already noted, Jeep no longer does their only decent engine. Had that engine in the 2000 JGC I had but couldn't keep a set of brakes and discs on that slug - warped inside of 20,000 miles multiple times. The dealership and regional sales and NHTSA couldn't care less. Traded it in on the Toyota Highlander.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeep went to **** when they stopped building the 4.0 Straight 6. I love my 99TJ but I wouldn't drive a newer jeep vehicle if it were given to me. Id love to get my hands on a 4.0 square body Cherokee.
My son has one of the old Cherokees with the 6 cylinder. He trailers it in where he is going mudding. Danged thing is almost unstoppable.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son has one of the old Cherokees with the 6 cylinder. He trailers it in where he is going mudding. Danged thing is almost unstoppable.
That’s more of a function of it being a straight 6, Toyota made some good ones in the 1G and 1JZ engines, ford made a great one 300 CID straight 6, so did Dodge and AMC , it’s just a function of it being built like and running like a Diesel engine. I wish someone would offer a straight 6 today most of them were bulletproof

Last edited:

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyota gets my vote. I have had two Celicas, two Tundras (100K plus miles each) and two Lexus and never had a warranty issue with any of them. Wife drives a Mercedes but may move back to Lexus sometime soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom