Just a lighting idea some may not have thought about.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know a lot of people might have the standard lighting options for when the
power goes out such as candles, flashlights,and different types of lanterns for
emergencies but have any of you tried this idea?

Solar path lights. I buy some every now and then at Wally world usually when
they are on sale in the fall. You can even find them for around $2 a piece sometimes.
The ones I have picked up will light a room enough to see not to trip over things
And you could even read a book if set close enough. The best thing I like about
the idea is that that they use no batteries or fuel and there is no fear of them
starting a fire. After use, just set them in a sunny window ledge to re-charge and
they're good to go for another night or so depending on how long they are left on.
Just thought I'd throw that out here as I like cheap ideas that I haven't heard of
before.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My limited experience with them is that they are very dim and don't last long at all. IMO, they are not a very good choice.

Hope you don't think that is the only light source I recommend. I have all the others but I also have the solar lights.I
believe in one is none and two is one. Just another suggestion to add to your other light sources. YMMV...

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After use, just set them in a sunny window ledge to re-charge and
they're good to go for another night or so depending on how long they are left on.
Just thought I'd throw that out here as I like cheap ideas that I haven't heard of
before.

It's a pretty good idea. This summer, I realized that I'd wiped out enough of my driveway lights that a new set was warranted. Walmart always has them cheap, so I bought a box of them. The display box is a flat box with a dozen or so holes in it and the lights just stick in the top of the box. This clusters a dozen of the lights right next to each other in a rectangular pattern. I bought the whole box and took them home.

Well, I pulled the little battery strips from each and got ready to put them in place. But, something interrupted me and I just put the box of lights on the ground in the sun and ran out of time. At dusk, I put the box o'lights in the garage. At bedtime, I noticed light coming from the garage and figured someone had just left the light on out there. I was shocked to see that it was my box of solar lights. A dozen solar lights all clustered together, after a day in the Summer sun, puts out an impressive amount of light.

I hadn't thought about this since then, but a box of these in the bunker might be a good idea. If you don't pull the little battery strip/tab, they'd probably store for a long time. Cut off those ground spikes and build a little rack to hold them. Free light. Not a shabby idea.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used ours after this last tornado that came thru Moore. We were lucky enough to ot get hit, but lost power. We just turned them upside down, pulled the globe off and sat them on the coffee table. They were just as good as a candle, my daughter took one to bed with her and I think it was still going in the morn. Nice not having to worry about fire or using batteries, it's a good backup.
I think I read something about using 2 litter bottle to magnify the light even more.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, they DO use batteries. The solar charge is recharging the internal battery. They are dim, don't last long or quit working because of the battery. Most I have or have seen use a rechargeable AA battery. Look at the battery mAhr rating, depending on the quality of the light, cheapo ones are in the 300 - 360 mAhr range. I replace the batteries with the 1400 mAhr rechargeables, I get mine from BatteriesPlus. They will last all night.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, they DO use batteries. The solar charge is recharging the internal battery. They are dim, don't last long or quit working because of the battery. Most I have or have seen use a rechargeable AA battery. Look at the battery mAhr rating, depending on the quality of the light, cheapo ones are in the 300 - 360 mAhr range. I replace the batteries with the 1400 mAhr rechargeables, I get mine from BatteriesPlus. They will last all night.

You need to remember to have a good area for the panels to recieve the most sunlight everyday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom