Just had a night skulker!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you were alerted.

What type of alarm was it? I've been considering one of the cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms for the same purpose. I already have a normal house alarm but it would be nice to have some quick and simple porch setup like that too.

This is exactly what I have.. some cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms. I'm signed up for their weekly / monthly e-mail coupons... and a few months ago they had them on sale for only $13. I've got several of them around the house & in my tool shed. The receivers are in my bedroom and labeled for where the sensor is located. I only have to look at the flashing red light to see where to look. H F runs them on some kind of special for $13-$14 every other month it seems. Regular price is $29.

The remote sensor runs off a 9 volt battery and the in-house alarm runs off of 3 C-batteries. They have an approx. 400 ft range. There is a high & low sound setting for the alarm tone. Only thing is.... you need to mount the sensor where it won't be directly exposed to water / rain. I was gonna put one in my mailbox so I'd know when the mail arrived... but the metal of the box blocked the signal.

It probably wouldn't be legal, but I've thought about hooking a fence charger to my back door storm door's frame [so the entire metal frame would be electrified] and the tool shed's door knob at night. I could have it operate off of the porch light switch inside the house... just remove the bulb and plug it into the socket. I would just have to remember to turn the switch off before touching the door knobs. LOL

T

ThomasA

May I make a friendly suggestion? Don't go in a potential danger zone alone. I know you were just scouting your own property and doing the obvious thing anyone would do. I'm not saying I wouldnt have done the same several years ago. But if they had still been out there and confronted you, you could have been in serious trouble. For your own safety and your family's, wait for the 5-oh to show up before you go investigating. You weren't wrong, there are just safer ways :)

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
T

ThomasA

My daughter had the same thing on Friday morning, but they caught the guy.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/convicted-felon-arrested-for-possession-of-gun

She made 3 of the 4 Tulsa papers. On top of that she is going through a divorce from an abusive ex, was home alone with two kids under the age of 2. Needless to say, between everything going on, she moved home last night.

I know when I'm a convicted felon, I always go tapping on random windows while weilding an illegal firearm until I find the apartment I was looking for. Wow. Glad your daughter is alright!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I make a friendly suggestion? Don't go in a potential danger zone alone. I know you were just scouting your own property and doing the obvious thing anyone would do. I'm not saying I wouldnt have done the same several years ago. But if they had still been out there and confronted you, you could have been in serious trouble. For your own safety and your family's, wait for the 5-oh to show up before you go investigating. You weren't wrong, there are just safer ways :)

I know what your saying and I agree that is true for most people without training or any experience.. but these days when the police response time can easily be 15 minutes or more... a bad guy can cut tires, knock out a car window or do a lot of other espensive damage in that much time.

My town of 30,000 only has 4 officers on duty some nights. The County Sheriff only has 2 deputies some nights. They get a house fire on one side of town and a shots fired call on the other side.. that kind of leaves you to fend for yourself until they can get free.

I've got around 20+ Years of weapons & hand-to-hand training at the state & federal levels with various agencies, military training & National Guard riot control training... it kind of gives me a little bit of a edge over the average bear.

Besides, when I fight someone [especially in the dark]...I fight dirty.. no rules at all.. I will use a rock, brick wall, car bumper, flashlight, a face through a glass window.. what ever it takes to win.... I'm wayyyy to old and out of shape to wrestle around on the ground like a 19 yr old kid.

Put a gun in my right hand and a bright flashlight in the other.. and unless the bad guy downs me with one quick shot.... they don't have a chance in hell. As ole Walter Brennan use to say when he played Will Sonnett in the show 'The Guns of Will Sonnett'.. "No brag, just fact!" LOL

Last edited:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is exactly what I have.. some cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms. I'm signed up for their weekly / monthly e-mail coupons... and a few months ago they had them on sale for only $13. I've got several of them around the house & in my tool shed. The receivers are in my bedroom and labeled for where the sensor is located. I only have to look at the flashing red light to see where to look. H F runs them on some kind of special for $13-$14 every other month it seems. Regular price is $29.

The remote sensor runs off a 9 volt battery and the in-house alarm runs off of 3 C-batteries. They have an approx. 400 ft range. There is a high & low sound setting for the alarm tone. Only thing is.... you need to mount the sensor where it won't be directly exposed to water / rain. I was gonna put one in my mailbox so I'd know when the mail arrived... but the metal of the box blocked the signal.

It probably wouldn't be legal, but I've thought about hooking a fence charger to my back door storm door's frame [so the entire metal frame would be electrified] and the tool shed's door knob at night. I could have it operate off of the porch light switch inside the house... just remove the bulb and plug it into the socket. I would just have to remember to turn the switch off before touching the door knobs. LOL
I vote for the RedSnapper charger only because that's the one I shocked myself with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom