Just had a night skulker!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had a night skulker at the front door!

I have a driveway alarm sensor mounted in our front door's entry way... about 4 1/2 feet up off the ground.. and about 5 ft out from the storm door... so if anyone gets within 5-7 ft of the door it sounds a loud alarm inside my bedroom and flashes a red light several times. It is loud enough to be heard outside the house too. And because it is mounted high and inside a narrow walkway, small animals like cats & skunks will not set it off.. only people.

I was in bed sound asleep, and by the time I realized the alarm was sounding... grabbed my gun... and got to the door.. he / they were gone. I went outside and looked all around the house.. nothing seemed to be disturbed. I called the police and got our neighborhood put on the list for extra patrol. It is a real adrenaline rush to get awaken to a prowler alarm going off @ 2AM. Sure glad I had the warning before entry might have been made.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I retarded that I have no idea what a "skulker" is?

Skulk verb [used without a object] : 1. to lie or keep in hiding, as for some evil reason: The thief skulked in the shadows.

Thanks for the good wishes you guys! I'm glad he / they got scared away by the alarm sound. In a way, a part of me doesn't want know what was out there.... as I would hate to know it was a couple of armed guys fixing to do a home invasion. As heavy as I sleep... without the alarms going off... [he / they] could possibly have been well into the house before I'd have known it.

A yr or so ago I found a radar detector and some other items at the corner of my front yard... near the neighbor's front gate. Turns out it had been stolen from a car down the street and the thief had cut through my neighbor's backyard... ditching the items near my rosebush for some reason.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
skulk   /skʌlk/ Show Spelled[skuhlk] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
1. to lie or keep in hiding, as for some evil reason: The thief skulked in the shadows.
2. to move in a stealthy manner;

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had a night skulker at the front door!

I have a driveway alarm sensor mounted in our front door's entry way... about 4 1/2 feet up off the ground.. and about 5 ft out from the storm door... so if anyone gets within 5-7 ft of the door it sounds a loud alarm inside my bedroom and flashes a red light several times. It is loud enough to be heard outside the house too. And because it is mounted high and inside a narrow walkway, small animals like cats & skunks will not set it off.. only people.

I was in bed sound asleep, and by the time I realized the alarm was sounding... grabbed my gun... and got to the door.. he / they were gone. I went outside and looked all around the house.. nothing seemed to be disturbed. I called the police and got our neighborhood put on the list for extra patrol. It is a real adrenaline rush to get awaken to a prowler alarm going off @ 2AM. Sure glad I had the warning before entry might have been made.

Glad you were alerted.

What type of alarm was it? I've been considering one of the cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms for the same purpose. I already have a normal house alarm but it would be nice to have some quick and simple porch setup like that too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom