Just picked up a Press!- anybody have any components/parts I could trade for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is everyone?!... I'm pretty excited because I finally picked up a press.. Got a hornady single stage. Im lookin at reloading these calibers:

*.300 blackout
*9mm

Eventually 556, .308, .45 acp etc..

Right now im focused on the .300 blackout conversion from 223/556 casings.

If anybody has anything they may think would be useful or helpful to me ( powder, dies, tools, etc..) on my endeavor... I have a 1911 Id probably be willing to trade for some goodies..

I am learning that reloading is a process to be taken slowly and methodically, but its extremely intriguing.. So if you all have any pointers or help youd like to offer, id be glad to research any info you give me! Open to any advice.

In any case youll probably see me hanging around this section from now on, lol.

Thanks all!

-Will

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A mini cut off saw was the best thing I bought for trimming 300 blackout cases from 223. It is still a boring process though. I am currently using Lil Gun as my powder. Being a shotgun powder means it is readily available at most places that sell powder despite the rush on all things firearms related.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
buy a reloading manual. Speer #13 edition can be had for a bit less than new on ebay, because #14 is out. most powder manufacturers also put out free manuals if you ask. www.handloads.net is a good source, but stick to published recipes until you get a feel for things.

Reloading 9mm is easy. Use a large grain powder and there is little to no risk of over-charging. Using unique powder as an example, if you overcharge it will overflow the cause pretty much.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started on a 7.7 Arisako which is a bottleneck round like most rifles. I had one of the old Lee Loaders you used a hammmer to bang on them with. My brother still uses one on his 45-70. I was lucky I had a nieghbor who walked me thru the process. You'll find reloading straight walled cases a whole lot easier. I usually suggest people start on those so the can get the basic process down. But starting on a rifle round isn't that big a deal either. Soemone suggested getting a reloading manual and reading it. I second that suggestion before you even start. Maybe you can find someone close to you that will show you the ropes.

Keep an eye on some of the web sellers. Midway, Grafs, MidSouth, and others have sells on stuff and I've found some big bargains there over the years.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 2 reloading manuals before I had actually bought the case.. ( been looking into this for about the past 10 months or so)

Ive got 2 hornadys ( one just came with the press) and the ABCs.. and theres one edition I forgot the name of, some really long one.

I figured id grab another because the one that came with the press is just an updated hornady-- I assumed a completely different publish would give me better perspective.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If at all possible I try to avoid ordering off the net... Whats the best reloading supply store in the city? I live on the NW side.

Or will I have to end up ordering off the net regardless? lol.

ASP: I saw alot of people use the mini saw from harbor freight.. I think Ill probably pick one up.. I might mimic it after this gentlemans set up..

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If at all possible I try to avoid ordering off the net... Whats the best reloading supply store in the city? I live on the NW side.

Keep an eye on the classieds.
I think Pro-Bass stocks some components, H&H, & Gene Sears in El Reno.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not loaded 300ACC since I don't have one. for 9 and 45 I use unique since it is impossible to get a double charge for 5.56/223 I use BL-C2 and Varget again can't get a double charge and then for 30-06 I use H4350 have not loaded 7.62x51/.308 but I would not think they are much different. I pick most of my powder/primers up from bass pro they usually don't have the bullets I want or want to much for them so I usually end up ordering them
for load data I use hodgdon's website a lot [ http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp ]

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ASP: I saw alot of people use the mini saw from harbor freight.. I think Ill probably pick one up.. I might mimic it after this gentlemans set up..

I definitely need a jig like that. Weekend project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom