Finally picked up a .44 mag, how'd I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_44mag1.jpg

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_44mag2.jpg

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_44mag3.jpg

S&W Model 29-2, serial N70XXX. Not the best pics, but it's in fantastic shape. I only got the gun, no box or anything. . .picked it up for $500. This is my first revolver, I already have all the handguns that I want to carry so the attitude on this purchase was kinda "go big or go home". I've always wanted a "Dirty Harry" (or at least a S&W .44 mag of some kind), but I couldn't really justify it. Now I've kind of used up the "zombie apocalypse" justification for buying guns... I've added 3 AR's, 2 glocks, a model 700 in 300 mag, and a (potentially excessive) amount of accessories/ammo to the collection since the beginning of the year, I may have gone a little overboard :rotflmao:

Anyway, an older gentleman who lived down the street from me growing up and who was a friend of my dad's passed away a few years ago, and my dad mentioned the other day that his wife was thinking of selling some of her husband's guns that her son didn't want (that just seems...un-American...), and that he'd seen a 6" S&W .44 mag in stainless (it's a model 629-1, made in '86) when helping her get ready for a garage sale awhile back. She's moving out of state this week so I decided to take the opportunity while I still had the chance and go buy it. I actually bought that from her first, but I stayed around to talk to her for a bit/help move some boxes.

Long story short(er), she is driving to CO with the guns she hasn't sold (or isn't selling), none of which had been touched since her husband's passing, she didn't know how to check if they were unloaded, so I offered to verify that they were all unloaded and safe/legal for her to transport. That's when I came across the model 29-2. . .I asked her if that was one of the guns she was also considering selling, and she replied that she would sell it to me but that I could just take it instead of the stainless one if I liked it better. She even offered to give me the original wooden case (with cleaning kit) that the 629 was in (it was big enough to hold the 29-2 with the 8 3/8" barrel, so it actually may be the case for my gun. . .), but I didn't know if the 29-2 was worth more and I didn't want to take advantage of her kindness so I just told her I had a case already and that she should keep it with the 629 because it would be worth a bit more.

On a different note, I came across a much older pistol that was quite interesting. . .It was an unmarked percussion pocket pistol, the screws on the gun definitely do NOT appear to be machine-made (the wood grips are clearly very old and the patina on the gun also suggested it is quite old), but the most interesting thing about the gun was that the bore wasn't round, it was octagonal. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the outside of the barrel. . .

Admittedly, I have little experience with vintage firearms, but I've never seen a barrel like that before and it has me a bit perplexed. I would like to find out more about the gun so that I can give the owner a better idea of what it is (and satisfy my own curiosity!). If anyone familiar with vintage pistols would be so kind as to help me identify this gun or find any kind of information about it I would greatly appreciate it! I can go back to get some pictures and look again for any identifying markers. . .I believe there was a 3 digit number stamped on the bottom of the barrel, just forward of the trigger, but I don't recall seeing any other markings. Also, the outside of the barrel (which was around 4" long) was octagonal for about half of it's length and then became round.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You did real well. In that condition that revolver is worth way more than what you paid for it!
Now go buy the Dirty Harry box set and practice saying "do you feel lucky"!

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The percussion pistol is very probably an English pistol and could have been made between 1840 and 1870. There were target rifles made during that time that used that kind of rifling and were high end guns. I couldn,t help you with the value with out detailed pictures of the pistol. It could be worth any where from $50.00 to several thousand depending on who made it and the condition.

This type of rifleing is known as Whitworth rifling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom