Keep an eye on your kids playing in the yard...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tonight I rode my 4 wheeler down to a friends house in a neighborhood about a 1/2 mile away. As I was leaving, I'm driving down this residential street towards the front of the neighborhood when this small child comes running up to the street and stands just out in front of his mailbox. So you can get a good mental picture, this neighborhood is all 1 acre lots with the houses having about 2/3 of their land as a front yard. I have a 5 year old son and a 9 year old nephew. This kid was probably 7 years old.

I'm riding pretty slow, maybe 15 mph, and I notice this kid looking at me in a wierd position. The first thought that comes to my mind is it looks like someone is drawing down on me. But I'm very near sighted and this kid is young. The closer I get, the more it looks like he's drawing down on me. I'm wondering if this kid has a telescope he's looking through, is he's just pointing at my 4 wheeler, is he trying to get me to stop or show me something. I drift closer to the middle of the road the closer I get just because I don't want to buzz by this small child on my big utility 4 wheeler and I start to feel awkward because this kid may not realize it, but from my point of view, he really looks like he's drawing down on me. Since this is a pretty long and flat road, this entire situation has been going on maybe 6-8 seconds which IMO is a really long time to have this creepy feeling yet still continue on like nothing is happening.

Then I finally get within 40 feet or so and I come to the realization... he actually is drawing down on me. The kid is holding a black, semiautomatic pistol, pointed at my face, one eye closed and smiling. I roll into the throttle while doing a double take of "is this really happening". About the time I'm ready to turn and run this kid over, I see the smallest hint of orange on the tip. I blow by him. I get up another house, look back and the kid is still tracking me. I should have went back and broken the gun. I didn't notice any parents around. I just rode off pissed off.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure had I done this as a child I would have been in big trouble and met with a wooden paddle.

I can't believe how some people allow their kids to act nowadays. It wasn't that long ago since I was a kid either.

m4man27

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly a little paranoid that being said. I allow my boy to play with his dart guns long with the other kids in the neighborhood. They are all brightly colored and easily identifiable. However he knows that he is not to aim at anyone or anything who is not playing like a car or bike.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have stopped and talked to his parents about their kid pointing a gun at someone, real or not, these are different times we live in. I know my kids know that and if someone ever knocked on my door with that noise, my kids would see the ugly side of me. My son didn't get a .22 rifle until he learned safety first and had it down.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might have to have a ..calm.. talk with the youths Father.
Seeing as I was riding a 4-wheeler down a residential street (its illegal as far as I know..which dont amount to much)..a very calm talk about personal responsibility and such... ;)

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a wonder your not having to recover your 4-wheeler's seat from having sucked 1/2 the cover up your rear-end. A few weeks ago my local police had to get dead in the middle of some teens' butts for walking down the sidewalk near the high school with some paint guns tucked into their waist bands. Had a lot of drivers really upset.

Latest posts

Top Bottom