KFOR news clip about the hog issue in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aired this morning, and states the ODWC is frustrated with landowners wanting to profit off of hog hunting/hog hunters and not participate in ODWC programs that will trap them out or shoot them out via helo. Hopefully they'll post up their article on their website sometime.

I said this exact thing in another thread and someone said it wasn't the case oh my looks like I was right. When I was living and working central Oklahoma numerous landowners were creating hog sanctuaries so they could sell hunting leases . It wasn't even a secret and its a violation of the law as feral hogs are invasive and not considered a game animal.

As much as I understand landowners wanting to profit from their land via the hunting leases , wild hogs are a real problem .

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aired this morning, and states the ODWC is frustrated with landowners wanting to profit off of hog hunting/hog hunters and not participate in ODWC programs that will trap them out or shoot them out via helo. Hopefully they'll post up their article on their website sometime.
Twenty years ago (or thereabout) - I looked at New Mexico landowner management of antelope, and I conversed at length with a feral hog expert in Louisiana. (where the pig problem was already insane)

I crafted a nice letter to the head of the ODWC, and sent copies to all of the members of the Wildlife Commission. I offered ideas on how best to head off the coming wave of feral goodness that was already spreading from SW to NE in our state.

The then head of ODWC and only one member of the Wildlife commission bothered to respond. The one committee member said thanks, he'd confer with game management guys, and the then head of the ODWC said basically "thanks, but we got this".

So now, as I manage our family's land I run feeders most of the year, and if I let friends hunt, I tell them no shooting pigs. Those are for me. Bring on the swine, it's good eating.

ODWC has "got this" lol. Arrogant SOBs.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They said they've only killed 11k todate with the program. That doesn't seem like as much as you would think. Does leased hunting kill more?

Latest posts

Top Bottom