Kicked off the fishing season. . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and came home empty handed.

Headed up to Oolagah for the first time to do a little recon/fossil exploration, and went below the spillway. There were several guys fishing and no water being released. I watched one guy snag about 15 spoonies of various smaller sizes trying to catch sandbass, and another guy caught 5 or 6 sandies that he took home.

I caught one not long after starting to fish but let it go, then didn't catch anything else all day. I did come home with a few pounds of lead sinkers though, so it wasn't all a loss!

What was really neat, though, was semi-freaking out when it looked like a monster was emerging from the spillway. I guess there were a few guys working on it, and they had a little john boat with a trolling motor, ran right up to the spillway entrance and walked in.

I'm finally on a set midnight to 8 schedule in the railyard so I'm going to try and fish more this year. Last year was so hectic, being my first year there, that I didn't even get a license or wet a line. This is my second fishing trip this year, after hitting opening day of trout season in MO with my dad, and it's nice to wet a line again!

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe It was a great day with or without a stringer full for me Dennis!

I always consider my fishing season starting at March 1st, even if I've fished in Jan/Feb. This year was the first time in several that I got to hit opening day with my Dad so it was a super blessing! I took vacation for it, was home for 5 days, and only got to fish one of them when the winter storm dumped 3" of sleet and 5" of snow on, but I did get that one day with him.

Even more amazing was I caught the biggest rainbow I've ever managed. It was about 20", but had wintered over so it wasn't a chunker. Dad already had his limit and was just watching me fish, and told me to use his rod. I never knew how beautiful a good rod/reel combo could feel! He's got a 5'6" Eagle Claw that's pushing 40+ years old, and just put a new Pflueger 7 bearing reel on. I always wondered how he outfished me so easy, with us both using the same bait and fishing style. I'm fairly confident you could feel a fly land on the tip of bare line with his gear!

When it comes to fishing, I truly don't believe I've ever had a bad day!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. I never knew how beautiful a good rod/reel combo could feel! He's got a 5'6" Eagle Claw that's pushing 40+ years old, and just put a new Pflueger 7 bearing reel on. I always wondered how he outfished me so easy, with us both using the same bait and fishing style. I'm fairly confident you could feel a fly land on the tip of bare line with his gear!

When it comes to fishing, I truly don't believe I've ever had a bad day!

Absolutely! Good gear can make a world of difference. I'm not a high end fisherman, but try to buy the best I can afford. It does make a difference.

Its a tough job, but I'll have to go out for my third day of fishing in a row tomorrow after getting back from Powder Valley getting some primers and Powder. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, other states do have a season. Should have mentioned that.

Around here, we have crappie season, noodling season, and so on. Nothing other than the time of the year to call a season legally.

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_03_ypy3egu9.jpg

That was my first of the year. Only bite I had all day.

This signature is illegal in California

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never knew other states had seasons on bass, how bizarre. I tore up some bass last night at the ranch. Caught 23 before storm blew me off the water, biggest about 4 lbs. Trying to thin the bass out a little, so I fed the coons with 6 of them. Is throwing a bass on the bank, or relocating to another pond the same as keeping them, as far as having a limit? I'd love to remove every one I catch, but I am barely making a dent in the numbers doing it 6 at a time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never knew other states had seasons on bass, how bizarre. I tore up some bass last night at the ranch. Caught 23 before storm blew me off the water, biggest about 4 lbs. Trying to thin the bass out a little, so I fed the coons with 6 of them. Is throwing a bass on the bank, or relocating to another pond the same as keeping them, as far as having a limit? I'd love to remove every one I catch, but I am barely making a dent in the numbers doing it 6 at a time.

As far as I know, if your fishing a pond that was not stocked by the ODW you can do what you want. I have a pond that we cleaned out years ago, and restocked it. The bass started getting stunted, so we pitched them out on the bank for the coons and birds. So full of worms, that we didn't want to eat them. 6"rs aren't worth cleaning.

Found out that to properly manage a pond, you have to take so many fish out each year to keep the food chain intact. The ODW has a pretty good tutorial about this. Its in their pond management handbook, and might be on their web site. Haven't looked for it on the web.

Latest posts

Top Bottom