Killshot on Coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lungs...! If you hit it, it will probably flop around, then it might run in circles like it chasing its tail, then it will make a noise or two and then fall over dead.

All this will happen in only a few seconds, so don't get weirded out...!

Just go kill one, it's easy, don't make it hard.

Then you'll have a nice coyote to go throw in the Crockpot..!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lungs...! If you hit it, it will probably flop around, then it might run in circles like it chasing its tail, then it will make a noise or two and then fall over dead.

All this will happen in only a few seconds, so don't get weirded out...!

Just go kill one, it's easy, don't make it hard.

Then you'll have a nice coyote to go throw in the Crockpot..!

You guys are too much!!:D

I really appreciate the Posts that crag83 has posted.
Every one of them has been a question about how to get started, and how to do different things in hunting.
Thanks for hanging with us crag83.

Coyotes are a pretty easy kill if hit in the right spot, behind the shoulder in the lower 1/3 of the body.
That being said, coyotes are on the move a lot and may be moving when shot.
Sometimes, they will run after being shot, or run in circles if not shot in the perfect vitals.
There is no perfect shot on any animal.
Some will say a neck shot to anchor them is the perfect shot, and others will say a shot thru the butthole is the perfect shot.
Its rare that an animal will "drop" unless you get a spine shot that will disrupt their central nervous system.
All will run, and some for quite aways with their heart/lungs blown out the other side of their bodies.
This is why you will see links about blood trailing.
Blood trailing is another thread.

Keep asking your questions. You will get the answer your looking for.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard "butthole" being the a perfect shot. LOL

I always aim right behind their shoulder. For awhile I would aim at their shoulder but my 50 grain JHP's would just break the shoulder and immobilize but not kill them. Almost always needed a follow up shot. Now I hit behind the shoulder, but not too much because gut shots arent worth a damn either, and always seem to either be DRT, or a short death run.

That doe I killed on Sunday was a DRT behind the shoulder shot. Was a bit high but didn't touch the spine. The heart was mush and the lungs were shredded. It's a good feeling when you know you put one down with minimal suffering.

ETA: somewhere I remember seeing anatomy of a deer and a coyote and if I remember correctly a coyotes vitals are lower in the chest cavity than a deer's. So behind the shoulder and a bit low ought to be money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom