Kimber Jamming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a high standard I guess, because I do not feel comfortable with a gun that jams even once. The last 5 guns I've owned have never jammed and that's how I believe it should be.
I am looking to get a .45. I have a M&P .40 and a KAHR PM9 and am interested in trading into .45's
Thanks for all the advice.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"What does that say on your slide? 'custom shop'....Please...show me this 'custom shop' "

How much of the 'Custom Shop' is marketing and how much is actual custom work, I'm not sure. While they obviously aren't building a full-on custom gun, they do appear to have a decent amount of hand work performed. Specifically for this discussion from their website on 'Custom Shop' guns : "Breech faces are polished and ejection ports are lowered and flared for reliable function."

Like I stated before, my personal Kimber experience is limited when compared to most of the guys here, but so far I love the gun. My plan is to get 500 rounds or so through it and then, if I still feel the same about it, make it a carry gun (after a recoil spring change, per advice here).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry (not Ultra carry II, older model) a few months back and have ran about 400 rounds through it with only two FTF's.

I believe it was the ammo. After I inspected the two rounds that FTF'd, I noticed they both had rim damage while none of the spent cases had said issue.

Now compare that to a recently aquired RIA mil spec, with near the same amount of rounds through it, that has had zero issues. :anyone:

I also in no way think my Kimber represents all, I got lucky I guess. :twocents:

~Stephen

Were they reloads? If not, then did the Kimber cause the rim damage? If I had a defense pistol that choked on 2 of 400, then I'd want to run several thousand through it with no malfs before considering it SD capable.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 5" Eclipse. I like it quite a lot, but one thing that really bothers me is that it will fail to feed Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart. I don't know what it is about it, but I'll have to deal with that every time I shoot the stuff.

ltdavel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of rounds through my Ultra Carry II - maybe two or three hundred so far - but I'll say that I haven't had any problems at all. It even shoots well with a couple of $8.00 gun show "no name" magazines. Most of my ammunition is reloaded ball and I usually split the difference between minimum and maximum specs and then go maybe one grain more to the hot side. So maybe I was lucky and got a "good one", but based on my experiences I'm perfectly happy with carrying mine for defense. It's loaded with 230 gr Hydra Shocks for social work.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
How much of the 'Custom Shop' is marketing and how much is actual custom work, I'm not sure. While they obviously aren't building a full-on custom gun, they do appear to have a decent amount of hand work performed. Specifically for this discussion from their website on 'Custom Shop' guns : "Breech faces are polished and ejection ports are lowered and flared for reliable function."

Like I stated before, my personal Kimber experience is limited when compared to most of the guys here, but so far I love the gun. My plan is to get 500 rounds or so through it and then, if I still feel the same about it, make it a carry gun (after a recoil spring change, per advice here).

I know the ejection port treatment is done to all Kimbers, custom shop or not. Don't know about the breech face.

Latest posts

Top Bottom