Kimber Jamming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only currently own one Kimber, Desert Warrior. It has been flawless through about 4,000 rounds. Hollow-points, cheap wolf stuff, WWB, BB, cheapo Winchester HP's, nothing has been problematic with this piece.

I've shot about 5 other Kimbers and haven't had anywhere near the problems some seem to have.....maybe I'm just a simple mayun, maybe just lucky, but to me Kimbers are handy tack-drivers that have been quite reliable.

I own a couple of Para's and they shoot just fine as well, of course they were about 1/2 the price of the Kimber......

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 5" Eclipse. I like it quite a lot, but one thing that really bothers me is that it will fail to feed Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart. I don't know what it is about it, but I'll have to deal with that every time I shoot the stuff.

Many of the newer 1911 designs are heavily slanted towards feeding JHP's over ball. My Wilson will reliably feed ball ammo, but I can literally feel the difference in smoothness if I run SWC's or JHP's, which it definitely prefers.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've had my Kimber Custom II for 2 years now. The first couple of hundred rounds I had a few FTFs but since then the only feeding problems I've had can be directly traced to an out of spec reload that I missed in my QC.
I also use the stock 7 rd mags with no problems. I've probably got somewhere close to 3500 rounds through it with nothing more than regular cleanings.
I've had direct experience with 2 other Kimbers that belong to a friend of mine, a Custom II stainless and one of the compact models with the external extracter, the compact had problems and would fail to feed, and stove pipe on a regular basis. he stainless runs like a champ.
If I felt the need I would buy another one today, probably in stainless.
But since I like a little variety my next 1911 will probably be another brand just for diverseties sake.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only currently own one Kimber, Desert Warrior. It has been flawless through about 4,000 rounds. Hollow-points, cheap wolf stuff, WWB, BB, cheapo Winchester HP's, nothing has been problematic with this piece.

I've shot about 5 other Kimbers and haven't had anywhere near the problems some seem to have.....maybe I'm just a simple mayun, maybe just lucky, but to me Kimbers are handy tack-drivers that have been quite reliable.

I own a couple of Para's and they shoot just fine as well, of course they were about 1/2 the price of the Kimber......

If you ever want to sell that thing - let me know :thumb:

I've wanted a Desert Warrior for a long time now and I'd probably sell/trade just about anything I've got for one.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
much be psychological .... once a weapon has jammed on me even once... I find it very hard to depend on it again.

what's with all these negatives on Kimber... thought they were suppose to be a premium brand?

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J.B., J.P., I must be one unlucky guy or somethin I dont know...
What I do know is that every pistol I own has at one time or another stopped dead in its tracks! Requiring a malfunction clearance of some type.
Maybe its because I have shot thousands of rounds thru them that caused this to be..
This usually involves reloaded ammo and lots of buildup of crap in the pistol during firing.
A box of factory ball ammo one day at the range aint running a piece hard to see if its good to go.
My old 1911 carry gun is a Kimber stainless CDP aluminum 5 in that is every bit as reliable as any other pistol I own.
I will admit I had to tune it up just a JB did his.
It was not ready out of the box even at a price of just under a thousand bucks. Sad...

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 2 colts and 2 kimbers. None of them fed hollow points reliably. Even 1 jam per 100 is too much to me if it's to be used for self defence. All but one (kimber pro carry) functioned extremely well otherwise. The most recent was the kimber pro carry I bought last year. It was BAD. 2 to 3 jams per magazine with ball. Boiled down to needing the chamber polished and the inside surface of the slide lock filed down. Got it down to 1 or 2 jams per 7 to 8 magazine loads. I still have the eclipse. It's flat out reliable with everything but hollow points. It's just a range gun and a dang accurate and easy to shoot one too. One thing I'm about sick of is almost all 1911 employ the full length guide rod. I'm getting a serious itch for a stainless, 5" with the standard guide rod and spring plug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom