knife question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the accepted definition of a bowie knife? Michael Brown mentioned, at the bottom of page 4 in this thread, that a cold steel SRK could be an option. My understanding is the unsharpened swedge of the clip point would define it as bowie? Please correct my (mis)understanding.

I am also curious if an unsharpened swedge would ever be considered a secondary knife edge? I've seen several spear-point designs with unsharpened swedges that extend a few inches from the tip.

I am thankful for the definition of a dirk as a generic double-edged fixed blade. I tried to research it but kept running into old Scottish dirks for sale.

Last edited:

TDH1988

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the accepted definition of a bowie knife? Michael Brown mentioned, at the bottom of page 4 in this thread, that a cold steel SRK could be an option. My understanding is the unsharpened swedge of the clip point would define it as bowie? Please correct my (mis)understanding.

I am also curious if an unsharpened swedge would ever be considered a secondary knife edge? I've seen several spear-point designs with unsharpened swedges that extend a few inches from the tip.

I am thankful for the definition of a dirk as a generic double-edged fixed blade. I tried to research it but kept running into old Scottish dirks for sale.

By definition, a Bowie knife is a long knife with a blade double-edged at the point. What does the law consider a "long" knife? Does the law define a Bowie the same way? I am not qualified to answer this..

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For you folks that do business in Oklahoma City or live there, I found the city ordinance. It says NOTHING about blade length. (Except as posted in an earlier thread about selling or exhibiting knives with blades longer than 4")

§ 30-302. - Carrying weapons generally; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his person, or in his portfolio or purse, any stun gun, dagger, Bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, except as in this article provided. Provided further, that this section shall not prohibit the proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing or recreational purposes, nor shall this section be construed to prohibit any use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by municipal ordinance or by State law.

(Code 1980, § 30-247; Ord. No. 18218, § 2, 8-6-85; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

State law reference— Carrying weapons, 21 O.S. § 1272.

§ 30-303. - Public buildings and gatherings.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except a peace officer, to carry into any church or religious assembly, any school room or other place where persons are assembled for public worship, for amusement, or for educational or scientific purposes, or into any circus, show or public exhibition of any kind, or into any ballroom, or to any social party or social gathering, or to any election, or to any political convention, or to any other public assembly, any dagger; Bowie knife; dirk knife; switchblade knife; spring-type knife; sword cane; knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife; blackjack; loaded cane; billy; hand chain; metal knuckles; or any other offensive weapon.

(Code 1980, § 30-248; Ord. No. 18218, § 2, 8-6-85; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

State law reference— Carrying handgun in public, 21 O.S. § 1277.

§ 30-304. - Carrying concealed weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except a Law Enforcement Officer, a registered security officer or a person employed by an armored car firm licensed by the State Corporation Commission, to carry a concealed weapon other than a firearm, unless permitted by State law.

(Code 1980, § 30-249; Ord. No. 18218, § 2, 8-6-85; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

State law reference— Similar provisions, 21 O.S. § 1289.8.

§ 30-307. - Sale of switchblade knife or knife with long blade.

No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

(Code 1970, § 21-166; Code 1980, § 30-252; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

Liv2Dive2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the state, in my state military, LE, Fire and a few others can legally carry auto openers, but civilians can't, but the likelihood of it becoming an issue is low...that being said if you got into an altercation with LE, and they found it, you could get hemmed up pretty good...

There are good cops and bad cops, like any other profession, and if you happen to interact with a bad one, and have an auto opener you may do time...I'd check the local laws and adhere to them, you could carry every day and get away with it or you might get hemmed up on day one.

With all honestly my CRKT M16 is just about as fast and easy as my Benchmade auto opener...so when in doubt I carry the M16.

rhutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on the fixed blade.I have carried a bob Dozier km4 in a horizonal sheath going on 3years.they are pricey at just over $200 but the quality is worth it

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been carrying my kabar tdi now for 2 years and i like it. i just recently got a plain blade spyderco tenatious for a utility knife. love them both. with a little pratice you can draw the kabar really fast. faster than a pocket folder knife. now on the spyderco you can "wave mod" it by changing the position of the pocket clip and putting a zip tie on the spyder hole. as you take it out your pocket the zip tie grabs the inside of your pocket and opens the blade as you pull it out. you can draw it pretty quick too. but nothing beats the fixed blade.

jphillipw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wearing a neck knife lately. Knife snobs out there won't like it, but I carry a CRKT Folts Minimalist around my neck on paracord in a Kydex sheath. It has about a 2" blade for an overall length of about 5". I work in an office and regularly wear button-ups and polos. No one has noticed it, and sometimes I forget I'm wearing it. You may check it out. If you're a knife snob, there are higher quality neck-knives out there. knife.jpg

Can I ask where you carry a good concealed fixed blade? Are there IWB sheaths for knives? Strong or weak side. This idea interests me. Obviously training would be required, good thing there are resources for that around here too.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the guy who is know on these forums, TulsaDave, still around making sheaths? I looked at his profile and saw no post. I sent him a PM about making a Ka-Bar TDJ horizontal sheath, just waiting for a reply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom