Knives and the SDA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that it was legal to have switchblades and OTF knives, but that it was illegal to carry them, regardless of if you have a permit. That's just the law as I've known it.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
errrrrr let's see we can walk around full cocked with a loaded firearm but auto knives are a menace to society so you can't carry one of those.

That's the type of thinking that made Poland the world superpower that it is today.

I think the restrictions on knives are asinine.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
according to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PFOk6l2Z3A then it looks like the onion is lever operated or assisted. I would say you can't carry that.

I'm glad you're not the Tulsa County DA. ;-)

BTW, if that is the case someone better call Wally World and let them know they are selling illegal knifes, of which I have bought several.

The assisted open knifes such as the Onion are NOT the same mechanical device as a switch blade. With an assisted open knife you must manually overcome the spring tension on the blade to open the knife. An automatic / switch blade requires no manual force to open aside from pressing a button in the handle.

mhphoto - You are correct. It is not illegal to own the knifes listed in the SDA. It is illegal to carry them. The part that people seem to not agree on is the wording about "Spring Type Knife". As with all laws it is open to interpretation. As such the real question is how does the DA interpret it and would they pursue charges and EVEN if they did, does case law support it?

It has always been my understanding and if you read the thread I linked to before, the Tulsa County DA was contacted and replied in writing confirming that those types of assisted opening knifes were not illegal as per the SDA. However if you carry that type of knife and are truly concerned, contact the DA for the county you live in and see what their opinion is. Do it in writing and keep a copy of the letter handy in the event you ever need it.

cowmugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we are allowed by Oklahoma to carry defensive weapons. Batons and knives are offensive...double meaning intended. 45 cal auto is defensive, 46 cal auto is offensive. Its easy...just think about golf.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so what about balisongs (butterfly knives)? That probably could fall under "any other offensive weapon" I guess...

What are the limits on fixed blades? Reading through I don't see anything besides dagger, bowie, or dirk (besides the catch all). This might be a good question for when I take the class (eventually).

bobcat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
as i understand the knife laws spring assist is ok "switchblade" is not "butterfly" knives are fine depending on the bladelength and design.

non-fixed blade knife with blade not over 4" and single edged is goo / longer than 4" and or double edged is bad

fixed blade knife not longer than 6" single edged ok
over 6" and or double edged bad

this is just what i got the last time i had an unplanned conversation with some LEO's as i carry a coupla pocket knives and a 5.9" buck fixed blad (wall mart special) on a daily basis

nothing to do with sda but my own encounters

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as i understand the knife laws spring assist is ok "switchblade" is not "butterfly" knives are fine depending on the bladelength and design.

non-fixed blade knife with blade not over 4" and single edged is goo / longer than 4" and or double edged is bad

fixed blade knife not longer than 6" single edged ok
over 6" and or double edged bad

this is just what i got the last time i had an unplanned conversation with some LEO's as i carry a coupla pocket knives and a 5.9" buck fixed blad (wall mart special) on a daily basis

nothing to do with sda but my own encounters

Interesting...I guess I'll just have to take an SDA class and ask a lawyer, lol. Some of these restrictions just seem so arbitrary it seems like you could be charged for carrying any damned thing...

Latest posts

Top Bottom