Large Pistol Magnum Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DevilDoc29

I just bought 1000 large magnum pistol primers accidentally. I was wondering if it would be possible to reload 45 acp rounds using these primers. I understand that it will create more pressure and is probably not recommended by manufacturers. Has anyone used these and how was the results? Would it be possible if you start at the min load or back off 5%?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't take them back you can use them. Just don't go for any max loads til you know how they work. Start low on your load and work up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like had been said, back off from the max load 15% at least and fire a few. If you or a friend has a chronograph, that will help too to see where the velocity is at. Look closely at the primer itself after firing. If the corners of the primer are still rounded, go up a little. If the primer is mashed up to the edge of the primer pocket with no sign of a rounded shoulder, your pressure is too high.

D

DevilDoc29

Like had been said, back off from the max load 15% at least and fire a few. If you or a friend has a chronograph, that will help too to see where the velocity is at. Look closely at the primer itself after firing. If the corners of the primer are still rounded, go up a little. If the primer is mashed up to the edge of the primer pocket with no sign of a rounded shoulder, your pressure is too high.

Thats the same advice my uncle gave me. I trust what he says but wanted to hear what you guys had to say also. He said to back it down 5% to start and work it up and watch for flattened primers.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were a few recipes with slower burning powder that used mag primers if I remember correctly.

Mike Venturino did a study on this years ago for shooting times magazine.
While the difference is not as much as some would think, it is large enough to caution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom