lasik

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doing some research for a family member on this. lasik has been around for several years now and she is thinking about having the procedure done herself. is there really reason not to have it done? ( if you can afford it) i cant think of anyone who has said that their vision was messed up worse than it was before. main complaint i hear about is dry eye. is that really the only downside? does everyone who has lasik have to deal with dry eye often? she was referred to a dr chris hummel. any feedback on this particular surgeon would help as well.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has been amazing, I had it done in January. I have dry eyes when I wake up but they go away after a couple minutes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No info on that surgeon. i had mine done at clearsight about 10years ago. Dry eye isnt a problem for me. I am still seeing 20/10 to 20/15 depending on eye. I have no regrets at all.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine had it done a few years ago. She had it re-done twice since then. That's one thing I didn't realize is that your eyes can get bad again and you have to have it touched up?

I had cataracts so I got new fake lenses. No need for touch up for those. Why don't they just do new fake lenses for everyone instead of Lasik?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummel is pretty well thought of in OKC and uses the most up-to-date methods. I had mine done at The Laser Center (TLC) on NW Hwy and have no complaints after nearly 11 years. I've had no need for touch-ups and my eye exam last week confirmed that the correction is exactly where it was originally. The opthalmologist also remarked that he could barely detect where the corneal flap had healed after the surgery.

Good pre-surgical measurements are key to success.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had mine done about 5 years ago. No problems at all, and I had a stigmatism or still do but my eye sight is so much better.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no reason not to do it. It was the best money I have EVER spent!!!!! I have dry eyes every now and then but it is not a problem. I would do it again!!

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the reason they do not do a 'lens implant' on everyone instead of lasik, is that the lens implant takes away your eye's natural ability to focus close up. the natural lense whose shape can be changed by your eye muscles, is replaced by a plastic liense that cannot be reshaped, i.e. refocus up close, by your eye's muscles.

these are the same eye muscles that give out around mid age and people loose the ability to see close up.

so lasik is a better choice given the option - you fix the shape of the eye, and you see better at distances and you still have your natural lense to see up close.

lasik has made great strides - but if you search it out deeply, you will find it is not a sure thing. many people have very severe problems - can't see at night, can't go to a movie, have to have multiple pairs of glasses to use throughout the day because the pressures inside the eye causes a diff shape to the eye and this requires diff glasses, severe problems with light, and career ending headaches, problems reading.

make sure you have a good dr. do the research. it is not like buying a pair of shoes.

Patriot72

Marksman
Reaction score
I had mine done at Clearsight close to 10 years ago. I had to go back in December for a "touch up" which was free of charge. Having it done was probably the best money I have ever spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom