Layoff's after the election

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better watch out! I once worked in a shop with a IAM (international association of machinists and aerospace workers) union.
I worked 1st shift and turned out 125 parts per shift with zero rejects.
The 2 slugs on 2nd and 3rd shift could only manage 25 per shift and 50% reject rate.
If it had been non-union they would have been fired.
Instead they threatened to fire me for doing too good of a job and making the others look bad.
So, since I could run every machine in the factory.
The boss had me make 25 parts each morning, then go operate a machine that a worker didn't show up for work.
The happiest day in my life was the day I got laid off and started my own business.
I will never ever work for a union shop again. All they do is breed laziness.

you sound like my uncle on his first day at his old job

boss: "here's a load of bar stock. you're to take this and make as many of these parts as you can (*hands him designs*)"
uncle: "ok i'm on it"

noontime rolls around
uncle: "okay i made 20 of them"
boss: "what?! NO! we didn't need that many. jesus. bob makes two a day for chrisesake. DON'T MAKE ANY MORE TODAY"
*boss angrily pushes off the cart with all the copper stock*

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you sound like my uncle on his first day at his old job

boss: "here's a load of bar stock. you're to take this and make as many of these parts as you can (*hands him designs*)"
uncle: "ok i'm on it"

noontime rolls around
uncle: "okay i made 20 of them"
boss: "what?! NO! we didn't need that many. jesus. bob makes two a day for chrisesake. DON'T MAKE ANY MORE TODAY"
*boss angrily pushes off the cart with all the copper stock*

I LIKE this story!

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being anti-union, not to be confused with agnostic about unions, has roots in facism.

Being pro-union has it's roots in communism, and many early unions were investigated for ties to the same.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are great workers everywhere and in all positions, however as previously mentioned the Unions, by the definition of their name, circle and protect the low hanging fruit that needs to be knocked off for the tree to survive. However, that tends to not happen and the tree suffered for it.

With regards to American Airlines their problems are vast, but let's look at the recent areas of concern. The Pilots won't fly and need concessions, the stewardess' aren't happy and need concessions, the mechanics won't work and need concessions.... the result is American threatens to pull out of Tulsa to consolidate to save money to make those concessions for the different groups.

Tulsa, not wanting to lose jobs, gives tax concessions to American resulting in my tax dollar doing more and the city suffers. The city tries to pass this horrible Vision 2 to raise money to try and build up the city to draw new business to offset the lost tax revenue from conceding to American Airlines who is conceding to it's work force. The average tax payers looses again so the Union Labor is happy.

See a pattern here? To have the union back a candidate who all good people know isn't right for the country and then call it a victory because that candidate will pander to them is sad. Who pays? Everyone else.

I'm tired of paying. I'm a small business who's pays 65% of every dollar we make to fund a failing government who gives concessions to those who are either too lazy or too stupid to do for themselves. I proceed forward with the vision to providing for and taking care of my family.

Then I stop and look back the hundred of thousands of dollars paid each year to take care of those who are just looking for their check. It's sickening.

Don't pull Christianity into this. Jesus said to help those less fortunate, give to those who have less and humble yourself, but warn them to turn from their sinful ways. There in lies the problem, people don't want to be told they are wrong.

"You reap what you sow" would mean those who are too lazy to do for them selves should be on the charity of others, the government isn't a charity.

I'm sorry but through out this history of Union labor, I'm hard press to find a situation where the modern union ensures quality workers for the employer and quality jobs for the workers. Instead it seems more like grown adults wining their feelings are hurt and business' being ruined for standing up.

There are good people everywhere but, you can't escape guilt by association or accessory after the fact.

Amen

I would not pull religion into this if I were writing it. To me the unions are just as bad as the government at "protecting" the lazy, except they have to at least show up somewhere. Yes there are some very good union employees and very good non union employees. The problem with the unions and the government is that while an employer can discharge a union employee or non union employee, the costs in doing so frequently amount to more than just paying the SOB to do a little production while his co-hearts protect him. Unions should put as much effort in protecting the employer as much as their members and the government should be looking at protecting the citizen as much as their re-election. Unfortunately neither seems to cross any of the minds of the officials of each entity. We are over the tipping point.

They are both biting the hand that feeds them. Now their solution is to cook the goose that lays the golden egg.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the company I work for takes advantage of me as a worker every chance they get. I see how many dollars each order is worth, and I see how much we spend on purchasing. I do the hard labor, the people on top get the money. If I was a union worker, I know I would actually be able to ensure my rights like getting state mandated breaks, options of overtime and whatnot. I work in dangerous conditions without the proper safety equipment. I am constantly lied to when I bring up the possibility of a raise, while I see our sales staff gets hooked up with perk after perk for doing jack squat. There's not a single person at my job that I could switch positions with and not be able to perform their duties.

Businesses and corporations DO take advantage of workers, regardless of if you are wearing rose colored glasses or not. Do unions operate to try and make the best deal they can? Hell yeah. What's so wrong about that, ain't it the American Dream? Sounds to me like some of you want a business world where workers have absolutely no say in their own employment. That's kinda like....COMMUNISMS?!~?!?!

(Oh, and before anyone says "if your job sucks, quit!" it's just not always that easy. If your business is being attacked by the government, revolt. See?)

It is just that easy, you can quit anytime you want. The employer can not get rid of the slacker anytime he wants. That is the problem. He has to coddle the crappy person to keep himself out of trouble and ignore you.

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few things this election taught me...

I do not care of American Airlines closes it's Tulsa facility and all the Union works loose their job

I will not buy a car built in a union plant

I will never vote for any form of tax increase on the basis it is for education or that is supported by the teacher union

Seeing the picture here... If you are union person, hate me all you like, but unions pander to a workforce who feel they can underperform and should be rewarded with not only employment but also with increase in pay.

From the sad fact of help being turned away from the East Coast due to them being non-Union, or the fact that so many Mid-West are union, I chose to not drink the cool-aid and say Unions are not good for society and our work force. We no longer live in day of employers paying their job force in tender that can only be used at the company store. If you don't like where you work, quit and get another job.

My .03 and I know very good many on here are union, you might be a great person, but I don't care for your union.

I will have to second every bit of this... Union Made = blood money.. And if I can help it.. will not be getting mine..

Latest posts

Top Bottom