LCR for pocket carry??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Ruger LCP because I like the idea of pocket carry. (Holstered of course.) I see people talking about using their LCR or S&W 442/642 for pocket carry and I'm considering looking into the revolvers instead. Are they truly a comfortable pocket carry pistol??? I know they are a bit larger, but I haven't been able to stick one in my pocket and find out for myself. If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with LCR but I have an LCP. Its pretty comfortable in my pocket with a desantis nemesis holster. Feels just like a cell phone no matter what you're wearing. I also picked up an ankle holster for it but I use pocket as much as possible.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never carried an LCR, but I have a S&W 442 which is similar in size. Pocket carry was comfortable and functional.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No experience with LCR but I have an LCP. Its pretty comfortable in my pocket with a desantis nemesis holster. Feels just like a cell phone no matter what you're wearing. I also picked up an ankle holster for it but I use pocket as much as possible.

+1. LCP w/Nemesis is the best pocket set up I've ever had

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Main thing to remember is that a concealed gun is should be comforting, not comfortable. Lecture over but seriously, I don't want a carry gun to be so comfortable that I "forget its there". I don't pocket carry much but when I do, I like the Kramer. The side of the holster you can't see in the picture has a piece of flat leather sewn on os the gun doesn't print.
[Broken External Image]

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Main thing to remember is that a concealed gun is should be comforting, not comfortable. Lecture over but seriously, I don't want a carry gun to be so comfortable that I "forget its there". I don't pocket carry much but when I do, I like the Kramer. The side of the holster you can't see in the picture has a piece of flat leather sewn on os the gun doesn't print.
[Broken External Image]

My FIL has an LCP that he carries in a simular holster not sure if it is the same brand but it also has a flat piece of leather on the "Outside". He carries it in his back hip pocket (don't ask). But it looks like a square wallet when he has it there.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've carried the similar sized Kel-tec P3AT (and still do) in a pocket holster, and it's just like a wallet. I've also carried a J-frame in my front pocket. It too wasn't bad and gave you more horse-power...BUT...it only works with the smallest grip. I bought my first J-frame with the exposed hammer and laser grips. The pre-packaged laser grips are over-sized, and simply would not work in my front pocket, but it was deadly out to 25 yards or further with those laser grips, and single-action capability. I sold the over-sized lasers, and bought the compact laser. It fit the pocket well, but not my hand. I could fire it ok, but my fingers were so big I couldn't keep the laser activated. I finally sold the whole gun, and am waiting for my Taurus HGPT-745 thin grip pistol to come in. I believe it will still be too big for pocket carry, but is a compact enough .45 to carry without much problem. Still have the Kel-tec for my "pocket-change" gun. I'll tell you how it works out.

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You've given me a few things to consider. I have a suspicion that I'll wind up w/ both of them by the time the year ends.

The LCP seems to be a no-brainer in terms of being comfortable enough to always have it on me. On the other hand, MMcbeat makes a good point about the gun being "comforting" which is a nod in the revolver's favor.

Ultimately.....I don't even know what I don't know yet. I won't have my carry permit until around Christmas so I've got plenty to learn about what actually is and isn't comfortable for me.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with the LCR. I carry a 642 a lot in the summer, both in a Nemesis pocket holster or IWB. The LCP will be easier to conceal, and I seriously considered getting one last summer, but I have a lot more confidence in a .38 +P rather than the .380. Just make sure your pants have deep pockets so the grip isn't visible and you should be OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom