Learning to fish all over again......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks!
I meant to add some pics as examples of crappie habitat that good electronics can help find.
First is crappie in a winter pattern. Those fish are on that tree every time I go there. They don't always bite though.
The second is a pic of crappie in the winter to spring transition. They are holding in open water on structure feeding on a school of baitfish. Crappie were actively feeding, so dropping a pair of jigs down there produced fish.

View attachment 46853

View attachment 46854

Just curious...what price range does your fish finder fall in? Those were some incredibly detailed pics.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Lowrance in the top pic runs over 2 grand. It's not mine but a friends that I was fishing with that day.
The humminbird is mine. It cost $800 or so when It was bought.
It has downscan as well, but won't produce the detail the Lowrance does. Money talks in this game.
Garmin is supposed to have some new technology just out that is really clear. I haven't had a chance to read up on it yet.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. Went sandbass fishing last night and struck out. Water temp was good where we went but I think it's a bit cool in the lake and channel still.

They were biting at Ft Cobb this morning!

imgur_com_JCg95lg_.jpg

imgur_com_3gUdkXO_.jpg

It's been a while since I've posted pics here. Hopefully these work.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh Great flopping fish batman! This thread is getting me pumped for crappie season and fishing in general this year. Been so busy the past year and a half I really haven't gotten to fish much, new job now gives me the time to be able to. My buddy has never gone fishing for crappie, he's in the quite the treat.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the boat out last weekend and tried a new spot I've never been to. I relied on my fishfinder to show me the drop offs and found a drop from 10-20 feet where fish seemed to be holding around 8-12. I drifted the area 5 times and only caught one crappie, but I was rather proud of him. It may not be much, but to go to a new area, read my electronics and pull a fish from a spot I wouldn't have bothered with before, was rewarding.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out around noon today. Found a cove that had two gravel bars. One was 20' wide, the other was 10'.

Water temp was 59 when starting, and 63 at the end of the day. Caught 40 or so, all males. Kept 14 that went from 11-13".
That water temp has them in shallow water fanning the nests. I could catch two on the bedding area, move across the cove catch two on the other, moving back and forth for several hours.

All were caught in 2' of water or less with the exception of one that was in 3'.

Lost one when I forgot to pull the stringer in when heading back to the ramp.

In a week or sooner, the water temp will approach 70 and the big females will be moving to the nests.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_07_98d43996e93365557f1ae1aee4b0d64d.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the boat out last weekend and tried a new spot I've never been to. I relied on my fishfinder to show me the drop offs and found a drop from 10-20 feet where fish seemed to be holding around 8-12. I drifted the area 5 times and only caught one crappie, but I was rather proud of him. It may not be much, but to go to a new area, read my electronics and pull a fish from a spot I wouldn't have bothered with before, was rewarding.

If you caught one, there was more.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice stringer, Dennis! Indeed, there were. The fish alarm was going nuts on the finder, but I just wasn't able to get them to bite on 2 rods, neither was my buddy who was with me. I tried a few different jigs, but they were tight lipped on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom