Dealing with the wind while boat fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m here to complain about the wind and ask for tips. I’m wondering what you folks that fish from a boat a lot are doing to deal with the wind.

Went out to Canton lake and the water was great for the evening, but then the wind came in and basically ruined the night/next day.

I fish from a small boat, no fancy trolling motor, no spot lock, etc.. I tell ya it seems like 70% of my planned fishing trips end up just being frustrating thanks to the dang Oklahoma wind!

Lakes with lots of cover/trees/coves are a long drive. A big expensive fishing boat isn’t in the cards right now. I’m getting discouraged about small boat fishing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make something for that, I can't remember what it's called, maybe a drift anchor. It's like an underwater parachute, about 4 or 5 ft. in diameter, big hole faces the boat, little hole on the other end, you get the idea.
Drift sock. They are good if you don't want to remain stationary over structure.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cherish the wind because you can't hardly catch fish in slack water ( except gar, carp etc ) My friend and I often start at the windiest spots on the lake first. That's the water that is oxygenated and has the bait fish blown to, which generally have feeding/active fish. I am always moving, whether it's drifting or trolling (my bASS fishing days are few and far between now). I primarily fish for Walleye and Saugeye. I eat the BEST and leave the rest ( crappie included except on occasion). Boat control is always a challenge in the wind. If drift fishing you can use a drift sock or 5 gallon buckets to control speed and boat angle. If trolling with the wind and boat speed is too fast, you may have to kick it in and out of gear or rig a 5 gallon bucket up with 2 ropes. One rope for drag tied to handle and the other tied to bucket bottom for easy retrieval ( reverses bucket position ). Either way it takes practice to build the skills, especially if trying to run 5-7 rods at a time as we do in white cap conditions. You can take it easy in "Comfort Cove" or clean fish with me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When free to drift in the wind my Tracker will put its stern into the wind and bow downwind; I figure it's cause the stern is so low.
Bow has less drag in the water.

Try turning outboard full turn with it down and see if will help it to drift a little more sideways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom